access virus c

jcksn1234

• Members

hey fellas,

i am mainly a guitar player, but i have been jones'n for a synth lately. i have been looking at the alesis ion, but i found a local guy selling an access virus kc synth for $850.

this would be my first synth, but i have played around with others and have a pretty good understanding of how they work. My main question is this a good used price for it, and do you think it would be to much for me as a beginning synth? thanks for your help in advance.

• Members

I think the Virus C is one of the best synths available. it has a lot of presets for trance, but a lot of others for other styles and always you can create your own sounds. It is a very powerful synth. Maybe it is too much for a beginner, but I believe you can sell it whenever you want and if you keep it you will love your decision.

Regarding the price, it is okay IMO and the KC specially is not easy to find.

• Members

i am mainly interested in creating sounds like nin, tool, ambient type stuff. i know the learning curve might take a while, but i have a lot of patients.

any other opinions before i pull the trigger?

I think that the Virus Indigo (a Virus B or C with 37 keys) was one of Tool's main synths. I remember seeing pictures of Maynard James Keenan with one.

It's an excellent for moody, ambient stuff, not just pads and solos but for the sort of unnerving stuff that sits in the background.

It definitely has its own personality but don't worry about other synths being better at rock/techno/polka. It can be used for most any type of music that needs a synth.

$850 is kind of the average going rate for the desktop module. For a keyboard version it's a bit of a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

well i finally got this thing, and wow! IT SOUNDS AMAZING! i played one note and just got a big smile on my face. went through some presets, which were cool, but just started tweaking and it rules.

i also started going through the manual to get a better understanding of how it works. this thing is massive and it is definitely going to take some time to learn, but well worth it. also heavy as {censored}!

• Members

I bought a kb recently (version before yours) and I pretty much knew what the sounds were going to give me--but what floored me was the action of the keys. I thought my Motif was nice but the virus makes it seem flimsy. It's also very expressive yet controllable (if that makes sense)...as you change velocities you can really get some nuances out of it. And I didn't think I'd mess with the editing controls that much on the fly, but I'm finding myself tweaking stuff all the time.

Archived