Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB

dmk

• Members

Originally posted by ProjectX

I love the JB too but I have to tell you guys that the Bare Knuckle "Rebel Yell" is incredible! It's output is about the same and so is the magnet.It just has more of the good qualities of the JB and none of the bad qualities.I know for a fact that shreder75 would love this pickup.

what are the bad qualities you mention?

• Members
Originally posted by shreder75

I'd obviously have to play through one first....

but I'm sorry....a plastic casing, some wires, and a magnet with some wire wrapped around it does not justify the price they're asking for those bare knuckle pickups, man =)

the thing is, to me, the JB has no bad qualities =)

but this is all subjective of course =) as I said ad nauseum, it works for me and I'm not goin to experiment with something I'm perfectly happy with =)

Point taken but I know you plunked down the extra cash for the Rio BBQ which is also plastic,wires and a magnet.Just trying to help out a fellow Splawn user.Sorry.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarslinger

hmm, let's see

too good,

too tasteful

too easy to play with

too easy to sound great

too much good tone

too much like marty friedman

too much like warren dimartini

Yup I have it in my plaintop Superstrat and it has those qualities.It just didn't work perfectly in the quilt top.

• Members

I personally like DiMarzio better, but you can't go wrong with a JB. But you should seriously do ALOT of research on pickups, to find what would work best with your guitar's wood and your amp. Just find out about your guitar's wood, like it's characteristics, and then go on www.seymourduncan.com or www.dimarzio.com and read up on their humbuckers. Also, do research on how humbuckers are made and what makes them sound the way they do. You can't try before you buy with pickups, you buy, try, and if you don't like buy again until you get it. So I'd suggest knowing what you're buying very well.

• Members

I am not a JB fan. Sounded very harsh and had a mushy bottom end in my Les Paul. I prefer the Custom, which is a smoother and tighter pickup in my estimation. The cleans with the Custom are much better than the JB as well. Maybe I am just not a Duncan fan because I got rid of both. I really like Dimarzios myself (loved the Tone Zone, Megadrive, Evo, X2N) but I am going with EMGs in my Paul. Just waiting on the longshaft pots.:mad: 81 goes in the bridge tomorrow, and I'll pick up the 60 next week. Looking forward to it!:D

• Members

Originally posted by ProjectX

Point taken but I know you plunked down the extra cash for the Rio BBQ which is also plastic,wires and a magnet.Just trying to help out a fellow Splawn user.Sorry.

actually the BBQ's cheaper than duncans beleive it or not!

don't take what I said the wrong way, man..lol..I wasn't jabbin' ya or anything...if I were looking for a replacement for my duncans I'd definetly be lookin' into the BK's...I just think their price point is way too high...

Archived