help me get a blues tone like electric flag and roomful of blues

flip333

• Members

Hi,

I usually just get a clean sound and an overdriven sound I like on my Traynor 50 tube amp with a Digitech GNX2 for effects in the effects loop.

I started listening to "Roomful of Blues" recently which reminds me of the guitar from Electric Flag. It sounds like some gain on the the dirty channel of a tube amp with a little short delay and reverb.

I have an ESP EC-1000 with SD 59/JB and an Peavey Raptor (fat strat copy).

Could someone help me get closer to this kind of sound?

Thanks!

• Members

I assume (just an assumption) that Bloomfield was using an LP plugged into a Dual Showman. I also assume he turned up the volume knob, a lot. Might also help to shoot so much speed that you're on the verge of psychological and physical collapse. Honestly, I haven't listened to that stuff in a long time. He was a purist who probably didn't get into pedals until long after Electric Flag.

• Members

After thinking about it for a moment, I would have to say that a lot of Bloomfield's sound is about his technique. Rightly or wrongly, I think of him as a player whose phrasing was what made him recognizable, and he was often incredibly sloppy.

• Members

I just got back to a computer at work...

Yea, in spite of his technique, which sounds good to me, there is a compressed kind of sound with a certain appeal.

I listened to this band called Roomful of Blues today. It reminded me of that Mike Bloomfield tone.

Archived