Tube for a valve junior

Aaron SS

• Members

Just got my JJs in the mail today. I installed them about an hour ago and my guitar is still in my lap as I type this ....

the biggest difference I see so far is:

notes are more articulate

smoother tone

cleaner w/ volume down

more 'open' and natural sounding.

Speaking of JJs - played my first gig last night w/ my set of JJ 6L6s in my Mesa 50Cal - wow, much much better -- the guys in the band could really tell, as could I. tighter lows .....more refined.

great tubes

:thu:

• Members

use a 12ay7.

just remember, you can eat peanuts or fruity pebbles, and even though one of them will be full of nut pieces, and the other a strage green-purple, both are turds chilling in your toilet bowl.

i modded mine and it is still turdy. but hey, for $99 blahgasms.

• Members

I have a JJ EL84 and a EI Yugo Gold 12AX7. I swapped a bunch pre and power tubes from each brand (JJs, EIs, Sovteks) and for me the JJEL84 and EI 12AX7 sounded just right. The JJ84 added just the right amount of warmth (with a JJ pre it was too dark) and the EI Yugo just the right amount of sparkle.

Here's a run down of my impressions if you want

JJ 12ax7 - nice warm tone but dark and recessed in the highs. Good depth

EI 12ax7 - Nice balance if a touch forward in the upper mids. Excellent depth, very 3D

Sovtek 12AX7WPS (stock) - Flat response but no sparkle. Very neutral but lacking in a bit of depth.

Sovtek 12AX7LPS - better than the stock sovtek, with greater extension in both lows and highs. Still a bit flat sounding

and now the power tubes

JJ El84 - Nice warm tone with excellent balance. Highs are refined with excellent dynamics.

EI El84 - Warm, a bit too full in the bass. Highs lack focus with a bit of an lower mid emphasis. Sounds a bit slow...

Sovtek EL84 - Balanced and punchy, close with the JJ for tone, with the JJs edging the sovteks out in depth and refined highs. Best bass of the bunch

I also tried some lower power tubes in the pre (12AT7, Various New and NOS 5751s) but found the 12AX7 just sound right in the V1 slot.

Hope this helps...

• Members

Originally posted by ramossp

I have a JJ EL84 and a EI Yugo Gold 12AX7. I swapped a bunch pre and power tubes from each brand (JJs, EIs, Sovteks) and for me the JJEL84 and EI 12AX7 sounded just right. The JJ84 added just the right amount of warmth (with a JJ pre it was too dark) and the EI Yugo just the right amount of sparkle.

Here's a run down of my impressions if you want

JJ 12ax7 - nice warm tone but dark and recessed in the highs. Good depth

EI 12ax7 - Nice balance if a touch forward in the upper mids. Excellent depth, very 3D

Sovtek 12AX7WPS (stock) - Flat response but no sparkle. Very neutral but lacking in a bit of depth.

Sovtek 12AX7LPS - better than the stock sovtek, with greater extension in both lows and highs. Still a bit flat sounding

and now the power tubes

JJ El84 - Nice warm tone with excellent balance. Highs are refined with excellent dynamics.

EI El84 - Warm, a bit too full in the bass. Highs lack focus with a bit of an lower mid emphasis. Sounds a bit slow...

Sovtek EL84 - Balanced and punchy, close with the JJ for tone, with the JJs edging the sovteks out in depth and refined highs. Best bass of the bunch

I also tried some lower power tubes in the pre (12AT7, Various New and NOS 5751s) but found the 12AX7 just sound right in the V1 slot.

Hope this helps...

Thanks a lot man i really appreciate it, but what are EI tubes and where can i find them?

• Members

Originally posted by Used666

Thanks a lot man i really appreciate it, but what are EI tubes and where can i find them?

Just a heads up-Ei's are notorious for being microphonic. I purchased 3 gold pins and all of the were.I found out that this was common.

• Members

Originally posted by Used666

Can you suggest anything else?

Dont own a VJ so I dont know how different tubes will react in it. Its too bad about Ei reliability as they are nice sounding...... If the JJ ECC83s is too dark perhaps the JJ ECC803s(long plate) would be nice. They are brighter than the JJ ECC83s. Or maybe a Tung Sol 12AX7. Its another nice,toneful new production tube. The best way is sometimes to try em yourself. Start a "tube stash". Be careful though! I started one and now Ive got about 500 12AX7's(old stock) lying around-no joke! Also if your willing to take a chance on the Ei's you can always get them replaced if they are bad. I just cant be bothered shipping a tube or three back.

Archived