WOT: Buying a laptop (MacBook Pro)...

Pavel

• Members

the kinks have been worked, they're now a little faster, no whining noise, they're loaded enough for a laptop. i'd buy a spare battery, mine dies quick enough. great computer. getting one now versus waiting 4-8 months for a different firewire port isn't worth it, IMO.

leopard on the other hand looks to be pretty awesome. i forget when it's out, and again, $100 or so?

enjoy.

• Members
Originally posted by Mr Ten

the kinks have been worked, they're now a little faster, no whining noise, they're loaded enough for a laptop. i'd buy a spare battery, mine dies quick enough. great computer. getting one now versus waiting 4-8 months for a different firewire port isn't worth it, IMO.

leopard on the other hand looks to be pretty awesome. i forget when it's out, and again, $100 or so?

enjoy.

Exactly, not worth waiting for...:)

• Members

Dunno...would wait at least until after Paris Expo...possibility of announcing at least speed bumped MBP with the new Merom chip (Core 2 Duo) as opposed to the current Yonah (Core Duo)

I just got one from Amazon....man they have some stock on their shelves, got a week 17..complete with 'whining' CPU on battery power...I think we're currently in week 30 or something....may well send it back as defective.

• Members

Originally posted by taken

If there are any upgrades within 30 days of your purchase. Apple will upgrade you free of charge.

This is not policy in the US.

You have 14 days (I think) to return your laptop..if it's not defective and you are lucky, they might upgrade you for just the price difference...if you are unlucky, then you will pay the difference and a re-stocking fee.

• Members

Originally posted by JKD

This is not policy in the US.

You have 14 days (I think) to return your laptop..if it's not defective and you are lucky, they might upgrade you for just the price difference...if you are unlucky, then you will pay the difference and a re-stocking fee.

It is in Canada for sure. And you don't return your laptop as defective. They UPGRADE the one you have free of charge. I don't see why this would be policy in Canada and not in the States.

• Members

there's ALWAYS something better around the corner. if you wait til early next year, then there will be a bunch of new reasons to wait. if you waited until there was no looming obsolescence, you'd never get a computer at all.

now that the move to intel chips is complete, it's pretty safe to assume that current machines will be serviceable for a long time. i'm on the last of the powerbooks, missed the switch by a month or so... but i really don't care. it's still a great computer and it'll still work fine for several more years.

whatever you do, get the applecare plan. it's very worth it. the service is amazing.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr Ten

buy online via the educational discount, there's no checking on that. and i upgraded to 2gb, makes everything MUCH smoother.

do not install version cue if you're using adobe cs2.

What do you mean by "checking"?

What's up with Adobe cs2?

• Members

Originally posted by Pavel

What do you mean by "checking"?

What's up with Adobe cs2?

"checking" mean they don't really verify if you're a student or not. use their website, pick out some college as a student, order it, i'd pick the one you went to, but do so at your own risk. i had my own technical reason why i felt comfortable doing so.

cs2 is not native to the intel chip and runs on the OS-built-in rosetta emulator which runs at

enjoy.

• Members

I have a MBP, definitely a good computer. I'd recommend buying it.

Even though it sounds like its too late to stop you, I'd definitely wait a few weeks until they start shipping MacBooks and MacBook Pros with Merom.

In the laptops the CPU is soldered in and therefore not upgradable.

Just something to think about.

Archived