anatomy of a speaker jack

bluesboy

• Members

so... here we go yet again. On the speaker wiring chart found at celestion.com, it says positive of the speakre wire goes to the tip, and negative goes to the ring. I see a prong that connects to ring, so that one is obvious. however, i know the positive plug must go onto one of the other prongs. not the tip itself. Which one is the right one? (there are two left). One is directly opposite the tip (thisis my guess) and the other one is sort of off to the side. Any help? Thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by bluesboy

so... here we go yet again. On the speaker wiring chart found at celestion.com, it says positive of the speakre wire goes to the tip, and negative goes to the ring. I see a prong that connects to ring, so that one is obvious. however, i know the positive plug must go onto one of the other prongs. not the tip itself. Which one is the right one? (there are two left). One is directly opposite the tip (thisis my guess) and the other one is sort of off to the side. Any help? Thanks!

You should be able to follow the terminal to where it ends up,if it is an open bodied type. Is it? As for the other part,are there actually 3 terminals? If so,are you using a stereo or a switched jack? A basic mono unswitched jack should only have two.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

You should be able to follow the terminal to where it ends up,if it is an open bodied type. Is it? As for the other part,are there actually 3 terminals? If so,are you using a stereo or a switched jack? A basic mono unswitched jack should only have two.

hi, thanks for your response. on teh back of the cabinet there are two jacks. Each one has a tip that the 1/4" speakre cable will press on (the one connecting my head to the cab) and then three prongs. One is connected to the ring structure or casing, so i think the negative goes there. then there is one prong directly across from the tip, and one kind of off to the side. I thought the one directly across from the tip would be a likely candidate, but i tried wiring that way and there was no sound. Im afraid to try anymore without further advice because i dont want to ruin anything. I emailed the place i got it from but they havent responded.

EDIT: BTW my multimeter doesn't have the "Beep" function to check for connections, so that way is out for me

• Members

Originally posted by diocide

Do this.

Put a cable in the jack. Look where the tip of the cable is. See what contact it touches. Remove the cable. Follow the contact down to where all the rings are at the base of the jack. Use said contact connection.

well, im assuming that since one prong didnt work, i could just try th other one. Also, since i dont want to use another cabinet, i guess i can just clip the other two wires that woudl connect to the other jack?

• Members

hmmm... so i can check resistance there? what should i expect to see (how do i know it's the proper connection)? Im assuming that if tehre is a connection it should have some resitance, and if there is no connection it's resistance of 0?

You've got it! Resistance of 0 or so Ohms, means that the two items you're testing are connected.

Look at this diagram as an example:

hal9000F-SeriesMixPotMasterRevB.jpg

Looking at one of the plugs, you can see how they are constructed. If you placed one MM lead on the Tip, and the other lead on the tip's solder lug, you would read a resistance of 0 or so Ohms.

• Members
Originally posted by hal9000

You've got it! Resistance of 0 or so Ohms, means that the two items you're testing are connected.

Look at this diagram as an example:

hal9000F-SeriesMixPotMasterRevB.jpg

Looking at one of the plugs, you can see how they are constructed. If you placed one MM lead on the Tip, and the other lead on the tip's solder lug, you would read a resistance of 0 or so Ohms.

so that's actually the opposite of what i thought, but thanks so much for the info!!!! Ill try it when i get home.

• Members

so that's actually the opposite of what i thought, but thanks so much for the info!!!! Ill try it when i get home.

Doh! Man I read that wrong, huh. :)

A resistance of 0 Ohms means a direct connection or no resistance. A resistance of MOhms (Mega or Millions of Ohms) means that there is usually an open-circuit. Resistors are somewhere in between. For instance, a 10 kOhm resistor provides 10,000 Ohms of resistance.

• Members

Ya, if there's no connection it might read a very large resistance, like 1M or it might say something like OL, meaning it's too large to measure. If there is a connection, the resistance will be 0 or some other very small value.

but like tlbonehead mentioned above, with three lugs it sounds like you might have a switched jack. Without anything plugged into it, the two lugs will probably both be connected to the tip. When you plug something into it, the connection to one of the lugs will be broken. So you should measure it with something plugged in to see which one stays connected.

On the other hand, if you already tried one and it didn't work, that only leaves you with one other option, so that one should do it ;)

• Members

Ok guys, im starting to get peaved!!!!! Using the resistance setting on my multimeter i was able to find waht the proper connections were with a speaker cable plugged in (thanks!) so i tried it, and still no sound from the speakers. All my connections seem Ok... i dont know what the deal is. Teh head is OK, the guitar is OK, the speaker cable is OK, as tested through another cab. Any advice? sorry this is such an ordeal :(

EDIT: heh heh... guess i should let my tubes warm up... IT WORKS!!!!!!!! thanks for all of your help guys :thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members

Ok guys, im starting to get peaved!!!!! Using the resistance setting on my multimeter i was able to find waht the proper connections were with a speaker cable plugged in (thanks!) so i tried it, and still no sound from the speakers. All my connections seem Ok... i dont know what the deal is. Teh head is OK, the guitar is OK, the speaker cable is OK, as tested through another cab. Any advice? sorry this is such an ordeal
:(

EDIT: heh heh... guess i should let my tubes warm up... IT WORKS!!!!!!!! thanks for all of your help guys
:thu:

LOL :thu:

Archived