Hardware midi into computer interface questions

l20l30'l'

• Members

Howdy!

Been a long time since I've been on these forums. I used to be an audio recording guy but for the last few years I've been trying my hand at electronic music. I have been dreaming of and trying to build a setup that incorporates the best of outboard sounds with intuitive computer control. Right now here's what I've got:

PC running Ableton, Reason, and Cubase

Synths: Korg Wavestation A/D, Korg Prophecy, Yamaha TX81Z

Interfaces: Yamaha 01X, MOTU Midi Express XT(the first USB line)

Other: Korg Electribe R, Roland SP404 Sampler, M-Audio Axiom 25, various pre-amps for mic's and instruments.

What I want to do is use either Cubase or Ableton to set up which keyboard is controlling which and maybe be able to switch them on the fly if possible. Will I need to know sysex for this? Where is a good place to start? I haven't found many resources for this kind of setup, but to me it seems like just about anyone interested in getting great synth sounds with a more integrated control scheme of a computer. It seems like there aren't even many 8x8's out there anymore. I was lucky to find mine at a garage sale for $40. Anyway, thanks in advance for advice. I appreciate any direction anyone will give me!

• Members

When I'm working in Sonar I will set my midi input to the device I want performing/controlling the track and the output set to the midi timepiece channel output of the sound source I want to use.

Alternately you can dig more into the MOTU hardware by using the ClockWorks software and setup specific routings.

Archived