Why does my effects loops sounds like crap?

Sic666

• Members

Originally posted by Sic666

I have a marshall jcm2000 tsl602 i connect my boss effects on the fx loop and they sound pretty bad. Can anyone explain me what shoul i do?

What kind of effects are you using? Can you be more specific about the problem? Define bad.

• Members

Originally posted by Sic666

I have a marshall jcm2000 tsl602 i connect my boss effects on the fx loop and they sound pretty bad. Can anyone explain me what shoul i do?

I am not sure about the TSL602's, but I have a TSL100 and the loop is setip so that it can be either a serial loop or a parallel loop depending on where the FX mix knob is set. The way it works on my amp is with the knob all the way counterclockwise the loop is parallel. If you turn it all the way clockwise it transforms to a series loop. This allows a lot of flexibility as to what effects will sound good in the loop, but it can also be daunting finding the right FX mix setting.

In a general sense, time domain FX such as chorus, delay, and flange, those sound better IMO through a parallel loop. So if you are using those types of effects start by setting the FX mix knob all the way counterclockwise and gradually adjust it until you get a good mix.

If you are using distortion FX or compression then do the opposite. Start with the knob all the way clockwise and adjust to taste. I actually don't put any distortion FX through the loop. I like them better in the front end. I do think that serial loops are better for distortion type FX than parallel loops, though.

So what about multi-effects that have both? This is the beauty of having a loop that can morph from parallel to series. You can find happy medium much easier with multi-effects units.

Having said all that, you haven't defined "bad". Do you mean bad as in broken or just you can't find a setting you like?

• Members

I never found my effects sounded right in the marshall DSL401 I had. It had a parrallel loop. I was using Maxon & Ibanez delays, chorus, flanger's etc at the time.

I like to adjust the amount of time based effects on the effect itself not in the loop. I prefer Series loops, they just seem to work better for me. On my marshall DSL401 turning the mix knob all the way up may theretically convert it to a Series loop, but it still didn't work like a series loop does on other amps.

Archived