Voodoo Amps doing less Mods?

aortizjr

• Members

I was checking out their site and noticed that a lot of amps they used to mod they don't anymore.

In particular they used to do Sovtek, Carvin, and ENGL. They won't even service those anymore.

I am sure it has something to do with being overworked doing the standard mods and such. But I am bummed since I have been itching to get my Sovtek done by him.

Oh well...

• Members

Originally posted by EdMan57

Another reason could be so as they can concentrate on building and designing their expanding line of amplifiers.

Ed

not to mention they have plenty of mods for newer amps that aren't on the site yet. and some of the amps that were more popular, specifically the JCM800s, all have something like 4 or 5 standards mods that can be performed.

• Members

Well, realise the voodoo shop has a small, core group of amp techs. Not offering mods for every amp under the sun probably relates in some way to the available personnel and related bench time, but I'm just speculating here.

I know they are working on getting some more amps into their production line, and I suspect by consolidating their mods offerings allows them more time to put towards their own brand of amps.

The "available mods" list was consolidated back in June. I think that has allowed them the time to bring to fruition a 1x12 18wt V-Plex combo, which is soon to be released as their next product. This to be followed by the production version of their V-Reck (Trainwreck Marshall) amp (someone on here has the prototype in Purple tolex, and said that sounds amazing).

In the past, Voodoo had hand-built versions of amps like the Hex, Witchdoctor, CP-100 (which I own and is {censored}ing amazing!) and EM-100 -- all of which made their debut at the 2005 New England Amp Fest in Boston. But as they stand today, they could never keep up with distributor demand staying in that hand-built paradygm. Last I knew, they were gingerly planning the production release of these amp designs for a global market.

• Members

Originally posted by aortizjr

I was checking out their site and noticed that a lot of amps they used to mod they don't anymore.

In particular they used to do Sovtek, Carvin, and ENGL. They won't even service those anymore.

I am sure it has something to do with being overworked doing the standard mods and such. But I am bummed since I have been itching to get my Sovtek done by him.

Oh well...

Just as another option Mark Cameron does Sovtek mods as well.

He had one in his shop on Saturday being done.

I have his number if interested.

• Members

Originally posted by -=MYK=-

I bet that wait is long...

Not half as long as the wait for you to comment on something you've actually had personal experience with. In fact, why even comment here?

Mark is turning things out in 4 - 6 weeks. Ballpark price is $450 - but you can check with him.

Steve E

• Members

Originally posted by * velcro-fly *

Not half as long as the wait for you to comment on something you've actually had personal experience with. In fact, why even comment here?

Mark is turning things out in 4 - 6 weeks. Ballpark price is $450 - but you can check with him.

Steve E

You're being really negative, Steve. Are you okay?

It seems that all you do anymore is attack me. I thought you were a really cool guy, too. Lately, I'm starting to have my doubts.

• Members
Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps

It was five years ago when I did it,

it was done in one day.
:rolleyes:

Sorry Doug, I couldn't help myself ... the way that was worded just begged to be made fun of (hence the smiley) :D

Didn't mean to imply you were yet-another Harry Colby or Karl whatshisface...

• Members
Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps

It was five years ago when I did it,

it was done in one day.
:rolleyes:

Kind of reminds me of George Burns' line from the movie "Oh God" when someone asked him (God) if it really only took seven days to create the world. His response: "To tell you the truth, I thought about it for six days and did the whole thing in one."

;):p

• Members

In particular they used to do Sovtek, Carvin, and ENGL. They won't even service those anymore. I am sure it has something to do with being overworked doing the standard mods and such.

Regarding Service & Repair; In order to continue offering the same level of service for our own products as well as modifications we had to limit the number of amps that we service and repair.

Regarding modifications; Our modification department is the busiest we have ever been and as such we are actually doing more modifications (not less) than we ever have.

But I am bummed since I have been itching to get my Sovtek done by him. Oh well...

I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way so please do not take it as such; When Sovteks first came out you could purchase a brand new one at an incredibly cheap price (some were around $295.00) and the reason for this is that they were put together with the cheapest components/transformers that they could find. Long story short, they are not much fun for us to work on (for a number of reasons) and as such we have chosen to exclude them from the amps that we modify, service as well as repair.

Naturally there are many players out there who have never had any issues with their Sovteks and swear by them. The bottom line is that as long as it works for you then that's all that really matters.

Hope it helps

Trace

• Members
Another reason could be so as they can concentrate on building and designing their expanding line of amplifiers.

You are correct Ed :)

Just as another option Mark Cameron does Sovtek mods as well. He had one in his shop on Saturday being done.

If Mark works on them then we would be more than happy to refer Sovtek owners to Mark :)

Have a great day
Trace

Archived