OT: Network guys inside please...

ratter

• Members

I work from home, from a desktop PC. My personal computer is a Powerbook. From time to time, I'd like to use VNC or similar to control my desktop PC from my Powerbook. Problem is, my PC is only really useful when connected to the office VPN. And when it's connected, it of course is then on a different network than my Powerbook. Is there anyway to make this work. 2nd NIC, I guess?

• Members

The VNC isn't the only bummer. I also can't use my local networked printer while VPN'ing. Retarded. And my company's IT dept. is about as useful as tits on a boar....

There's an "allow access to local network" option or words to that effect, on the Cisco VPN client I'm using. But enabling it doesn't seem to change anything.

I can surf the net while VPN'ing, but all that traffic is routed through the VPN.

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

The VNC isn't the only bummer. I also can't use my local networked printer while VPN'ing. Retarded. And my company's IT dept. is about as useful as tits on a boar....

There's an "allow access to local network" option or words to that effect, on the Cisco VPN client I'm using. But enabling it doesn't seem to change anything.

I can surf the net while VPN'ing, but all that traffic is routed through the VPN.

If you are using windows VPN, then go into your VPN properties. There is a setting for "use local gateway" or somesuch. Check that box.

That way, it will use your local network for anything that is not on your VPN network and only use your VPN tunnel for your VPN connection.

Since I don't have a windows VPN setup here, I can't tell you exactly where the setting is, but it is a very easy change to make once you find it. It may be one of the advanced properties.

You don't need any special software or server configuration.

-W

Archived