Smallest keyboard with some sounds ?

Pr3Va1L

• Members

Hey there,

I'm looking for a 2nd keyboard to go with my Nord Electro, one that would have pretty much all the standard sounds (a good rhodes, strings and such) but that I could use as a controller for my rack synth as well.

49 keys would be perfect but I feel might not be too common.

Any idea ?

• Members

Full size keys is a must !

It's really just to complete the Electro 3. I have all the sounds I need on the Electro, but it's monotimbral.

so full size 49 or 61 keys, with good Piano and Rhodes sounds, plus some strings and pads and other such things that could be needed for corporate gigs.

There are a few I've been finding that have GM soundsets, but I wonder about sound quality?

Anybody tried those boards? :

- Emu Shortboard

- M-audio keystudio (or the pro sono 61?)

- CME u-key

• Members

Some 61s, which don't have mod/pitch controllers to the left, are quite compact, may not be much bigger than some 49s would be. Things like the Korg X50 or PS60. (Also the Yamaha MM6 isn't too wide, but it's deep.)

Most smaller-than-61 keyboards with sounds are closer to pure synths, and won't be very good for the kinds of bread-and-butter sounds you're talking about (piano, Rhodes, strings).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use a Roland Pro-E to control my Nord Rack 2. It has a keyboard split and many funny arranger functions. It send arrangment data on different midi channels. It has a very nice touch (velocity sensitive) and it has the typical D-series bender/modulation stick and D-series sounds. It has only 37 keys, but who needs more on the second board?

Archived