Who here likes Marshall's w/ 6550's?

64DUECE

• Members

Originally posted by danjovi

my ProMod has 6550's

big sound and the low end hits my chest nice n sick =]

they are very sweet in my Splawn, thats all i know

balanced tone

Sweet! I have a Pro Mod on the way and will have to try those.

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

I think if I wanted anything other than EL34s I wouldn't get a Marshall.

A JMP 2204 w/ 6l6's was probably the best Marshall I've ever had.

It was modded for them of course, but it opened my ears to how good a Marshall can sound with some actual low end and a touch more headroom. Besides, I play loud as {censored} and EL34's can't handle it w/out that dreaded wooly mush sound.

I've got an AC30 that takes care of my power tube distortion needs.

• Members
Originally posted by 64DUECE

I'm looking to get a little more low-mid growl and a tighter bottom end response. And a lot less output tube compression.

That's what I need with the gain in this amp. I'm thinking the 6550's can do it.
:D

If you want more low mids you want 6L6s. 6550s have a pretty flat frequency response. Might wanna try some 6CA7s before you go changing your amp around, though.

• Members

Originally posted by 64DUECE

A JMP 2204 w/ 6l6's was probably the best Marshall I've ever had.

It was modded for them of course, but it opened my ears to how good a Marshall can sound with some actual low end and a touch more headroom. Besides, I play loud as {censored} and EL34's can't handle it w/out that dreaded wooly mush sound.

I've got an AC30 that takes care of my power tube distortion needs.

I'm just saying, when I want to hear EL34s, I plug in my Marshall cause it gets it 'right' to me. I'm sure other tubes can really open them up in certain ways, but then again I'm sure my Mesa Recto with 6L6s is a better 6L6 amp than a Marshall with 6L6s...to me at least.

• Members

Oh. I agree. Nothing sounds better with EL34's than a Marshall to me. I just think the older Marshalls w/ stock 6550's are tough.

This SL-X sounds a little different from any other Marshall to me. More hi fi sounding w/ it's own mojo. I figured I'd try something different for the power section.

Archived