OT: Tips for finding Musicians in Los Angeles??

SpeedKing

• Members

Im a guitarist and I have my singer, and were having nothing but trouble trying to find a {censored}ing rhythm section (bassist and drummer). ive tried la weekly, recycler, craigslist, and this site, as well as posting ads up in the guitar centers, sam ash, mannys, musicians institute, amoeba, and some other hangouts where musicians might be, and I havent had much luck (nothing but flakes or retards).

what the {censored}kkk? i never imagined that it would be this {censored}ing hard to find a competent rhythm section in this city.

man any tips, words of advice, or {censored} if someone on here knows of a bassist or drummer, hit me up please.

we just have 3 requirements: 1. preferably in your early to mid 20's. 2. no hired guns 3. have pro gear and transportation.

http://www.myspace.com/drivingforcerocks

• Members

Wow! you can't spit and not hit a musician in LA. Use your Motley roots and post up flyers with you desired requirements and influences...add a phone number and Myspace url and then filter out the posers and you should be able to have a few to chose from.

• Members

need to find musicians in LA?

go to:

bathhouse
gay bar
library computer lab
library bathroom
under a bridge
the guy waiting tables
local drug dens
the coffeeshop
the bookstore
actually, any store that lets you read, try, consume before you buy. or anywhere with free refills
headshops
tobacco store
frisbee store
best buy
at the park

• Members

Originally posted by SpeedKing

have been doing that. been posting ads, but i feel like this town has too many jaded players or something

get rid of the age requirement, thats shooting yourself in the foot. Who cares if the guy is 31, what if he's got the balls for the job.

?

• Members
Originally posted by Alanfc

get rid of the age requirement, thats shooting yourself in the foot. Who cares if the guy is 31, what if he's got the balls for the job.

?

+1, I know some 34 year old attorneys with some serious musician-style substance abuse problems. trust me, they have no trouble keeping up. They'll party your ass under the table and laugh with you and at you when you try to pee on their door. They understand b/c they were our age once. :thu:

• Members

Since quitting my last band at the beginning of the summer, I have had the same problem in LA. There are a lot of people that post the "pro player looking for group" posts, and most of the time they are mediocre at best.

The ones that actually are good generally want to be paid for every hour they are doing something band related, and only want to join a situation where the band is already signed/pro/about to tour. The bands that are at that level probably arent gonna be searching craigslist for musicians.

So frustrating...

• Members

Yeah, I agree it's tough. Our singer started playing bass because we had trouble finding players that we wanted to work with. Turned out to be the best thing we could have done, she rocks! Anyway, if you have specific requirements (age, height, etc...) you might just have to pay some guys. We started offering to pay drummers for rehearsals and gigs and got lots of responses. We did that for a while, then after people started seeing the band, we had people approaching us to join the band. Now we have a real "band", i.e. no hired players. So you might consider that option just to get going. good luck!!!

• Members

Musicians in LA are easy to find; Competant musicians? That's another story entirely.

My experiance with craigslist/Music Connection et al. is that most of the people who advertise there (not counting the hired guns in MC) are either bedroom virtuosos with no band experiance, or out of work actors looking to 'branch out'; A better bet would be to go to live music clubs/bars that other gigging musicians frequent. Here are a few that I go to/have gone to that are LOADED with musicians: KISS or KILL (Friday's at Safari Sam's) (in the interest of full disclosure, I help promote this night, which doesn't change the fact that it's loaded with killer musicians!); Canters Kibbitz Room (Thursday's seem to be the best nights); Spaceland on their free night (I think it's monday?); Mr. T's Bowl (various nights of the week) etc.

On the Sunset Strip, The Rainbow, and to a lesser extent The Cat Club and the Viper Room are also good for networking, but there still are a lot of people from the 80's hair metal era who hang out there, still waiting for their big break. However, lots of music industry types still frequent these establishments, so it may be worth your while to keep them in mind for musician hunting.

Oh yeah - drop the age limit; 90 percent of the people in this town will lie about their age anyway, and many of them will pass for the age they say they are.

Happy hunting!

• Members

first of all, on your myspace, put that you're looking for drums and bass in a bigger text so it pops out. cause when i first glanced, i didnt see it. or just have it be the first line of the bio.

add a bunch of fans of a band that is similar to yours, hopefully some will be in your area. even if you're not looking to beef up your friends list, it'll get a bunch of new people looking at your profile. just make sure that that new members thing is BIG.

you might also want to message similar bands in the area, and say that you're looking for people. ask if they know anyone. sometimes the band members themselves are looking for something new, sometimes they just know people.

• Members

Originally posted by SpeedKing

Im a guitarist and I have my singer, and were having nothing but trouble trying to find a {censored}ing rhythm section (bassist and drummer). ive tried la weekly, recycler, craigslist, and this site, as well as posting ads up in the guitar centers, sam ash, mannys, musicians institute, amoeba, and some other hangouts where musicians might be, and I havent had much luck (nothing but flakes or retards).

what the {censored}kkk? i never imagined that it would be this {censored}ing hard to find a competent rhythm section in this city.

man any tips, words of advice, or {censored} if someone on here knows of a bassist or drummer, hit me up please.

we just have 3 requirements: 1. preferably in your early to mid 20's. 2. no hired guns 3. have pro gear and transportation.

Lived in L.A. for years. I highly recommend you get up into the valley especially around Sherman Oaks Burbank area for your best chances of finding someone of that description

Archived