OMG! Check out this Jimmy Page solo!

dcooper830

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did watch some other videos of him. And his lead work was pretty sloppy.

But his TONE!!! I LOVE that tone!!!!!!!!

Les Paul into a Marshall crunching along. Just that magnificent 70's classic rock tone that totally kicks ass.

I saw video of them playing "The Ocean" and it was spectacular.

I was looking for videos of him cause I've recently turned into a Les Paul fanatic... so I wanted to see him getting some kickass Les Paul tone and I was not disappointed.

• Members

Originally posted by dreamspace

real marshall+les paul tone = fat, fat tone with endless sustain

doesn't sound like that on this clip
:p

{censored}in' A!

I've always thought, "hmm, for a les paul and a marshall, his tone is thin, terrible, and lifeless."

I'd rather listen to 90% of this board than live through that clip again.

it sucks. the media has brainwashed you all.:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by dreamspace

real marshall+les paul tone = fat, fat tone with endless sustain

doesn't sound like that on this clip
:p

Yeah he wasn't getting endless sustain. In fact some of his notes were dying off too quickly which made his playing sound sloppy.

But it was probably a non-master volume Marshall and he just had it cranked to 10. Which I wouldn't think would amount to a ton of sustain.... just more of a crunch tone.

But I saw a video of him playing "The Ocean" and I thought the tone was HUGE! Not thin and lifeless.

However....... some of his tones on later Zep albums I felt were thin and lifeless. I can't think of any examples right off hand......... But on Physical Graffitti I didn't like some of the lead tones.

• Members

Well guys, if you don't like the tone of the first clip you don't know how a real vintage plexi has to sound. The second clip has also a good tone, but I don't understand why if you like the second, you dislike the first.

anyway everyone has his tastes

• Members

Originally posted by dcooper830

But it was probably a non-master volume Marshall and he just had it cranked to 10. Which I wouldn't think would amount to a ton of sustain.... just more of a crunch tone.

Very true!! it seems you know Marshalls!

• Members

Originally posted by dcooper830

Yeah he wasn't getting endless sustain. In fact some of his notes were dying off too quickly which made his playing sound sloppy.

Isn't this contradictory?

I thought, "tube amp on ten = great sustain, fat tone, etc."

I'm really confused now.:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

thank God I don't sound like that first clip. I thought plexi's were supposed to sound good like Warren Dimartini.

:confused:

A 68 Plexi, but early plexis had very much less gain and sound like this in the clip

• Members

Originally posted by guitarslinger

Isn't this contradictory?

I thought, "tube amp on ten = great sustain, fat tone, etc."

I'm really confused now.
:confused:

Just cause it's a tube amp on 10 doesn't mean it's going to have a ton of sustain. If it's one of those old Plexis with no master volume it's just going to be crunchy when it's up to 10.

You would need a boost pedal or something like that to drive the pre-amp harder if you wanted more sustain.

Or if the amp had a separate master volume and pre-amp gain control you could get it that way.

I don't think the amps Jimmy Page was using in those clips were like that. Unless of course.... he preferred a low gain crunch tone and just dialed it in that way.

Archived