Jack OS X, help... I hate computers.

Thorhead

• Members

Ok so the deal is this, I want to use my FREE VSTi Host on my mac BUT... it has no inputs/outputs.

It however works with a APP that can be used to connect apps and inputs/outputs together (Called JACK OS X).

Of course though nothing is quiet as simple as that in the universe of (faulty) computers. So I just installed the program to my mac, BUT the computer won't detect it. In other words, no app detects the program so I could select it as a sound output/source. Also the system settings themselves are no different, not seeing the program there anywhere if I wanted to use it as default audio IN/OUT.

I can still connect the audio IN and out together with the program, but the program itself doesn't detect any computer apps (the VST host) so connecting that to the ins and outs requires the system to detect the Jack OSx - So I can select it from the host itself.

In the manual, as usual, no mention of this. It's the usual computer BS.

The system should detect it, I believe I installed it right, what's up?

I also tried program called Soundflower, it worked, but the program sucked(no input). Soooo...

Help me figure out why the program isn't being recognized by the computer. If nothing else works, tell me a free VSTi host for mac with input and output. If it still doesn't work then, it is going to be a smashed window and a broken MAC. Windows will be saved this time....

• Members

I don't have account there, I guess I should get one.....

But in the meantime I have to trust the mighty mods of HC will help me out
:lol:

You don't need an account to search the database for free VSTi & other plugins. I'm not saying they will have exactly what you want, but it's the biggest repository of stuff like that known to me.

• Members

You don't need an account to search the database for free VSTi & other plugins. I'm not saying they will have exactly what you want, but it's the biggest repository of stuff like that known to me.

I have used google, and really, I can't figure any reason why the system doesn't spot the jack....

• Members

After reading this and trying to figure out exactly what's going on, I'd feel pretty confident placing a bet that whatever is happening is due to user error and lack of 'rtfm'.

I think that you could get help here if you expressed your question coherently and in more detail. Lots of mac users...

Ok so the deal is this, I want to use my FREE VSTi Host on my mac BUT... it has no inputs/outputs.

It however works with a APP that can be used to connect apps and inputs/outputs together (Called JACK OS X).

Of course though nothing is quiet as simple as that in the universe of (faulty) computers. So I just installed the program to my mac, BUT the computer won't detect it. In other words, no app detects the program so I could select it as a sound output/source. Also the system settings themselves are no different, not seeing the program there anywhere if I wanted to use it as default audio IN/OUT.

I can still connect the audio IN and out together with the program, but the program itself doesn't detect any computer apps (the VST host) so connecting that to the ins and outs requires the system to detect the Jack OSx - So I can select it from the host itself.

I also tried program called Soundflower, it worked, but the program sucked(no input). Soooo...

Help me figure out why the program isn't being recognized by the computer. If nothing else works, tell me a free VSTi host for mac with input and output. If it still doesn't work then, it is going to be a smashed window and a broken MAC. Windows will be saved this time....

• Members

After reading this and trying to figure out exactly what's going on, I'd feel pretty confident placing a bet that whatever is happening is due to user error and lack of 'rtfm'.

I think that you could get help here if you expressed your question coherently and in more detail. Lots of mac users...

Yeah OK...

So I installed this VSTi called JACK OSX, it is a software used to connect different application's outputs / inputs together.

The problem is it doesn't show up in the input / output selection list in any app. Nor in the system settings where you choose the system default input/output.

Clear enough?

• Members

I'm not sure if I ever used it, but from glancing briefly at the site, it would appear like you can either set it up with their special plugins or without. It seems like you're saying that you followed their installation instructions to the letter, but the plugins don't appear in your applications along with your other plugins? Did you put them in the right place, etc? Are their certain requirements that you've met (os x version, intel versus ppc, etc)?

Do you have your app(s) set up to look for plugins in the right place, etc, etc....

Why don't we start with this - do you have other plugins working successfully? Have you ever had this working on a mac at all?

What is the free vst host that you're using? How do you know that it even works at all with your mac, os x version?

I'm not sure if it's still available, but you might try seeing if there is still a free version of Bidule from Plogue.

• Members

I'm not sure if I ever used it, but from glancing briefly at the site, it would appear like you can either set it up with their special plugins or without. It seems like you're saying that you followed their installation instructions to the letter, but the plugins don't appear in your applications along with your other plugins? Did you put them in the right place, etc? Are their certain requirements that you've met (os x version, intel versus ppc, etc)?

Do you have your app(s) set up to look for plugins in the right place, etc, etc....

Why don't we start with this - do you have other plugins working successfully? Have you ever had this working on a mac at all?

What is the free vst host that you're using? How do you know that it even works at all with your mac, os x version?

I'm not sure if it's still available, but you might try seeing if there is still a free version of Bidule from Plogue.

No application detects the Jack OSX. It isn't a VST plugin(though it can be used as one too) just to be clear. It is a program that routes audio from one source to a other. My VST host doesn't route any audio by itself, so I need the program in order for it to make and receive sounds to/from different sources.

I am using VST host called KIL 2.2. The VST host works perfectly, I just can't get sound into/out of it without the JACK OSX routing the audio into/out of it.

I want the JACK OSX to route the audio coming from the computer's input to the VST host, and leaving the VST host to computer speakers. Again the only problem is my MAC nor any app. list the JACK OSX as audio driver.

It seems like the software didn't install properly. But I installed it many times. It is a completely self installing, no need to drag files to different places. So I really don't get what could be the reason it doesn't show up...

• Members

Maybe the VST host you use has to be specially written to be Jack aware?
:idk:

Nope, it isn't just the VST, it is the whole computer! All apps, even the system settings, like I said.

The snowflower program shows up just fine, but inputs can't be assigned to it, so I get no audio in the program.

• Members

My VST host doesn't route any audio by itself,

Isn't that the whole point of a VST host? Shouldn't a VST host output to the audio interface just as if it were a DAW? Shouldn't a VST host work like a DAW in the area of hosting softsynths? If it doesn't, maybe you need a better host program.

The VST host works perfectly, I just can't get sound into/out of it without the JACK OSX routing the audio into/out of it.

How can you say a host works perfectly if it doesn't output any audio? Seems to me the purpose of a VST host is to route incoming MIDI and outgoing audio.

I want the JACK OSX to route the audio coming from the computer's input to the VST host, and leaving the VST host to computer speakers. Again the only problem is my MAC nor any app. list the JACK OSX as audio driver.

This confuses me. You're trying to use a VST host to host softsynths, but trying to route audio INTO it? Also your computer won't see a program as a "driver", it's the driver's job to make the program able to access the computer's output. Your audio interface should show up in the Sound system preferences screen, and the VST host should (I think, I haven't used such a thing) show the audio interface as an output choice.

• Members

Isn't that the whole point of a VST host? Shouldn't a VST host output to the audio interface just as if it were a DAW? Shouldn't a VST host work like a DAW in the area of hosting softsynths? If it doesn't, maybe you need a better host program.

How can you say a host works perfectly if it doesn't output any audio? Seems to me the purpose of a VST host is to route incoming MIDI and outgoing audio.

This confuses me. You're trying to use a VST host to host softsynths, but trying to route audio INTO it? Also your computer won't see a program as a "driver", it's the driver's job to make the program able to access the computer's output. Your audio interface should show up in the Sound system preferences screen, and the VST host should (I think, I haven't used such a thing) show the audio interface as an output choice.

I am trying to route audio into it to use VST FX and mostly oscilloscope... I should be able to select the JACK from the system settings/sound in MAC as input/output. Same thing for the apps (that applies for any app).

The point of the host is to RUN the VSTs. It is a freeware so you can't ask for miracles :lol:

• Members

have you tried "Audio MIDI Setup"?

It's in the Utilities folder and may address your problem.

I need to ask this: Why aren't you just using Garageband?

Doesn't show up there either.

Garage band has no VST support. (and it is the crappiest software I have ever used besides that).

• Members

What sequencer/DAW program are you running?

According to their site:

Basically, 3 steps:

Start up the JackPilot application, and click one button to start the Jack server.

"Jack-enable" the applications you want to connect - this usually means selecting the JackRouter driver in the Audio preferences menu of your applications, or by using the Jack AU or VST plugins.

"Connect" the applications you want to share audio between in the Connections window of JackPilot.

That's it! There's much more detail to help you in the full documentation, which is included in the download package.

What are you wanting to do?

Route what to where, and why?

• Members

What sequencer/DAW program are you running?

According to their site:

Basically, 3 steps:

Start up the JackPilot application, and click one button to start the Jack server.

"Jack-enable" the applications you want to connect - this usually means selecting the JackRouter driver in the Audio preferences menu of your applications, or by using the Jack AU or VST plugins.

"Connect" the applications you want to share audio between in the Connections window of JackPilot.

That's it! There's much more detail to help you in the full documentation, which is included in the download package.

What are you wanting to do?

Route what to where, and why?

Problem is the #2, the jack router driver is not listed in any app, nor in system/sound or Audio setup.

That is the problem, it won't appear!

Archived