Need a tube amp capable of low volumes

Sandman31774

• Members

I'm in the market for a tube amp. Always had solidstate. I need a high gain tube amp. My only problem is I need to play at moderate to low volumes most of the time in my house. Is there an amp that can give me good tube saturation at lower non-cranked volumes? I'd prefer a head only and not interested in a combo. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. No particular price range. Just need an amp capable.

thanks,

sandman

• Members

I know you have said specifics....

But I'd like to tell you about the Hughes and Kettner 20 Anniversary combo.

That little amp rocks balls off. It may not do total shred....and it can get a little noisy when cranked on the gain channel. But it was the BEST low watt tube amp I've ever heard, and would rival even the mighty Mesa .22....flat out beat it, I'd say.

Put your fav distortion pedal in front and you'll be in tube tone heaven...without the volume issues.

• Members

I built a Hi-Octane with a 1-watt option and let me tell you....1-watt is pretty frikin loud cranked!

If your looking for power tube saturation, you may need to get a Hot Plate to knock the volume down.

I play my JSX w/1960ax at very low levels late at night and it sounds great! My Rectoverb and TSL60 too!

• Members

Originally posted by Sandman31774

do those hotplates change your tone or are they transparent?

I have one and I don't think it's too bad. You can switch on a low/high boost and that helps when your really cranking up the load. If you do a search, I think there's been a lot said about using one. If you can try one yourself, that would be best.

• Members

well i think i may end up getting a hotplate and then go with whatever wattage head i choose...i just don't have many opportunities to try amps in my area...music stores suck bigtime...I'm thinking maybe mesa rectoverb, dual rec, carvin v3 or possibly legacy. LET ME KNOW WHAT YA"LL THINK!

• Members

well i think i may end up getting a hotplate and then go with whatever wattage head i choose...i just don't have many opportunities to try amps in my area...music stores suck bigtime...I'm thinking maybe mesa rectoverb, dual rec, carvin v3 or possibly legacy. LET ME KNOW WHAT YA"LL THINK!

I haven't owned a hotplate...just the sholz rockman powersoak.

But I (and a few others) think you have to be careful with a hot plate.

One of the reasons we love tube amps is becuase theysound so dman good, and you just want to turn them up louder and louder.

Although I didn't use a "soak" in conjuction with a good tube amp gain....I still think if it's "good low volume" you seek...a good small amp is the way to go. Even if you use some preamp/FX/pedal with it.

DO yourself a favor...check out that H&K 20 watter. Even if it isn't exactly what you are looking for...it will give you something to think about regarding low wattage tube amps.

• Members

I play at super low volumes because I live in an apartment with really thin walls. I have a Splawn Competition Head (50 watts) and it sounds awesome at low volume.

You should probably give us more detail on what type of tone you like though. Do you like more of a Godsmack, Dream Theater, etc. Mesa tone with thick bass and rectifier-type crunch or a Marshall tone?

A JSX is the best of both worlds and you can swap tubes. That amp sounds great at low volumes also.

• Members

Originally posted by Romanian Reaper

I play at super low volumes because I live in an apartment with really thin walls. I have a Splawn Competition Head (50 watts) and it sounds awesome at low volume.

You should probably give us more detail on what type of tone you like though. Do you like more of a Godsmack, Dream Theater, etc. Mesa tone with thick bass and rectifier-type crunch or a Marshall tone?

A JSX is the best of both worlds and you can swap tubes. That amp sounds great at low volumes also.

I think...FOR ME!...the temptation to crank it is too great. Hence using a smaller amp....the right tool for the job (FOR ME!)....is the right thing to do.

Even though the H&K gets LOUD AS HELL...it is still a small tube amp combothat you can crank only so much.

I do love my 64 twin and a preamp....I can get screamin tube tone at low volumes. I have the option of cranking the preamp and lowering the tube amp....or lowering the preamp and cranking up the amp..whichever sounds good to me. Kinda like a buil-in attenuator.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses!!!! I have a friend that wants to sale me a Bogner Uberschall. He's had it a couple of years and only has about 10 hours of playtime. I haven't heard it but will check it out. I'm gonna check out the jsx also. TO answer the tone i'm looking for that someone asked about earlier...that's the problem. I love so many styles of music it's hard to nail the sound I want. I love the old school Lynch tone from to zakk wylde to Vai to Satch....Many others in between. I guess I need something versatile...hell, i'm getting more and more complicated ha ha

• Members

he wants 2k for it...that's pretty good for a bogner uber with only 10 hours on it huh?

If thats the truth then yeah its a fair price. The question is, which revision?

I sold my Rev 2 for less than $2k and had to spend nearly $80 to ship it (and I packed the stinkin thing). I'd talk him down to $1900 if you can as he won't have to worry about the hassle of shipping it or ebay fees eating him alive. But.....$2000 still ain't bad on your end.

Archived