Crate... V30H or VFX5112?!?

br26

• Members

Pretty much decided on the Crate brand. The head runs on el84's and the combo uses el34's. Which type of tube needs the least maintenance, ie:which will last longest?

I would prefer the head, but am concerned with the single EQ for "both channels." Is a do-all setting possible to make both channels sound good? Also, does the boost button function as such, or does it drastically alter the EQ within the boost?

I don't really want the extra weight of the combo or need the extra watts(although the effects are a plus) I just want to be sure the concerns of the head won't be a problem.

Any pro's/con's/thoughts on either model will be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks, -br.

• Members
Originally posted by br26

Pretty much decided on the Crate brand. The head runs on el84's and the combo uses el34's. Which type of tube needs the least maintenance, ie:which will last longest?

I would prefer the head, but am concerned with the single EQ for "both channels." Is a do-all setting possible to make both channels sound good? Also, does the boost button function as such, or does it drastically alter the EQ within the boost?

I don't really want the extra weight of the combo or need the extra watts(although the effects are a plus) I just want to be sure the concerns of the head won't be a problem.

Any pro's/con's/thoughts on either model will be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks, -br.

Couldn't you tell by comparing their tone.etc,when playing through them?

• Members

Guess I should have mentioned... my local music store is a crate dealer but only large enough to stock the smallest tube combo and it's too long a drive to the nearest "guitar-mart." So, I'm trusting the wisdom of the board.

Point well taken, though. -br.

• Members
Originally posted by br26

Guess I should have mentioned... my local music store is a crate dealer but only large enough to stock the smallest tube combo and it's too long a drive to the nearest "guitar-mart." So, I'm trusting the wisdom of the board.

Point well taken, though. -br.

As a rule,I really like having two totally discrete channels. Sometimes I find an amp w/o where the EQ'ing matches up well for both channels otherwise, sometimes not. If it doesn't it can be a PITA trying to compromise between the two.

Archived