keyboard amp for guitar?

Karma1

• Members

I was wondering about the possibility of using a stereo keyboard amp (with stereo inputs) for guitar. I'd be running a multi-fx unit and Eventide Pitchfactor in front of it with my distorted lead sounds coming from the fx unit rather than the amp. Sometimes I use a Roland guitar-synth as well. I also have a Mesa Boogie V-Twin tube preamp pedal I can use with it. I like the stereo effects I get from the Eventide and have been either using two guitar amps or going direct into the PA. Although I'm not getting the tone I want going direct. Most of the music I've been doing is ambient electronic with heavily effected clean sounds, although I do use high gain distortion for leads. I don't play at high volume, so I'd be looking a lower watt amp. Anybody tried this or have any thoughts about it?

• Members

Sounds like you could get what you want.

Just know that solid state watts are little teeny compared to tube watts. That's because when ss distorts it's very very ugly and must be avoided at all costs. So I gave up using my Motion Sound 200s (200 watts) at my Thursday jam because I'd be either inaudible or blatting trying to cut through several 15 watt guitar amps.

Now I have a 15 watt tube amp and a guitar and cut through just fine.

Funny, that.

• Members

Sure, keybaord amp can be reasonably regarded as full range system suitable for any instrument thats providing ready for recording tone. However,avoid keyboard amps with piezo tweeters. Those are terrible sounding things esp with distorted guitar. 10" bass combos also work excellent for guitar to. As well as for bass and keyboards and drum machines.

• Members

Roland Jazz Chorus.

Loud and neutral. Works well with pedals. Built like a tank for 35 years and easy to find used.

That *is* a guitar amp, albeit a guitar amp designed for guitarists who want neutral tone. Think Pat Methany or Adrian Belew.

• Members

That *is* a guitar amp, albeit a guitar amp designed for guitarists who want neutral tone. Think Pat Methany or Adrian Belew.

It's also a keyboard and vocal amp. The manual gives recommended settings for keys and vocals. Also has a stereo effects loop. Perfect amp for a Rhodes, too. It is a full range amp with loads of power.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm familiar with the Roland Jazz Chorus and considered getting a JC-50 for guitar a few years ago. However, the two speaker model with the stereo effects loop is a much larger and heavier amp than I'm looking for. Although they do sound really nice. I remember that Andy Summers from The Police used one and I liked his tone a lot.

Archived