Has anybody ever played through this amp?

halluxone

• Members

Hey all, I've been looking to pick up a relatively inexpensive dedicated mixing keyboard amp so that I don't have to lug around my mini PA system (mixer, powered speakers, cables, mixer stand, cables, cables, cables) to practice. I ran across this ad locally on Craigslist and haven't seen too much about this Marshall 8015 keyboard amp. It looks like it was produced

in the late 1980's, and it's got a 15" speaker, which would probably be loud enough as a stage monitor for gigs and could handle smaller gigs as a sole source of amplification. It's 150 watts solid state with a Celestion speaker on board.

At $225, it seems like a pretty great deal, but I am not familiar enough with it to make the call...it doesn't need any repairs, but how hard would it be to repair this amp after 30 years out of production!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2080141690.html

Thanks everybody,

Allen

• Members

The components sound like they're decent. It's obviously not a real common item. Being that it's a "local pick-up" deal - I'd throw an axe in the car and test drive it. While it ain't a "pennies on the dollar" cheap sort of deal - if it turns out to function as advertised and sound OK - it may well turn out to be a decent unit. I'd consider investing the couple of hours it'll take to check it out.

• Members

Thanks for the reply...yeah, I am bringing my Electro 3 to see what acoustic pianos, electric pianos, clavs, and organ sounds will do through this amp. I'd love to try it out for a week, but it's really going to be a 10 minute test drive! What kind of things should I be listening for (other than the obvious blown speaker farts or hissing) that might shed some light on the quality?

I don't feel I am getting enough bottom end through my Mackie 350's to really handle the lower registers of the organ and Rhodes patches. A sub would help, but that's just more stuff to lug around!

Hopefully someone out there has played through one before and can give a thumbs up or down on it's playability/reliability. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Allen

• Members

I can't help you out directly as I don't know anything about that amp--but if it is anything like my old keys amp (a Peavey KB300, also 80s and also a 15" speaker, plus a horn) it can kill small mammals from a half-mile away with the bottom end. I sorely miss the rumble I used to get with that thing. Granted it was a pain to move around but it was a nice amp, probably not so great for piano (I didn't have anything close to a piano sound back then :facepalm:) but nice for synths.

• Members

... (a Peavey KB300, also 80s and also a 15" speaker, plus a horn) it can kill small mammals from a half-mile away with the bottom end. ...

There a Peavey KB300 on kijiji here; been on for months at $275. Maybe when folks twig to "86 pounds" ...

• Members

Not familiar with that particuliar model. But I have played some Marshall bass combo amps from that timeframe. Overall very good. I do keep in mind that american prices for marshall are good deal higher then their prices overseas. While the Peavey combos are also good they are also silly heavy as though peavey made the cabs out of concrete or somesuch. Making them a real hassle to transport and move around. if it is in excellent operating condition the marshall would be a good buy imo. The fostex horn in the Marshall would also be better qaulity sound then the tweeters found in peaveys keyboard combos imo.

Archived