Genz Benz El Diablo Clip

futurism

• Members

sorry I couldnt find the existing thread

Heres a clip from my Genz Benz El Diablo 100 Watt head

had it about a week

signal chain

Ibanez RG with Stock INF pickup (bridge) -> Genz Benz El Diablo -> gflex 4x12 cab -> sm57 on axis against grill pointing at edge of dust cap -> crappy alto mic pre

no post effects, doubled the rhythm guitar added some sampled drums, no bass on this

http://www.r4d.org/stuff/genzbenz6.mp3

same thing with rhythm guitars only

http://www.r4d.org/stuff/genzbenz6-guitars_only.mp3

and a pic for those that arent familiar with the amp..taken in the dark with a long exposure, hence the close encounters looking LED's

genzbenz1.jpg

I am inexperienced at recording big amps with a mic, but like what I have been getting with a little effort so far, compared to my POD XT or sansamp that I am used to

• Members

another clip
short this time
same signal path as before, different amp settings
in answer to a question, I run it on 50 watt mode
I also run only 2 of the 4 speakers in the gflex 4x12, at 4ohm

heres the clip

http://www.r4d.org/stuff/genzbenz7.mp3

quick question
by running half the quad by using one of the two stereo jacks I have switched the output to 4 ohms on the head.
The box is 8ohms when running all 4 speakers via the mono input.

Would I should I could I run half the box at 8 ohms?
if that allowed me to crank the amp more and effectively lessen the volume I would like to try it, dont want to damage anything on my new amp though

thanks for listening

• Members

I find the Diablo to be fizzy in Pentode mode. I own the El D 60C combo and run it exclusively in Triode mode, which will eliminate 99% of the fizz. I don't think you can run the 100W head in Triode. If you like the way it sounds then great, but if you want to tame the fizzies then you might want to try some of the techniques I use on my combo.

What I find that works well with the El D is to use a good OD pedal in front (it accepts pedals extremely well) to goose the distortion and keep the amp's gain below 4. This keeps the fizzies away. Also, the treble knob acts like a treble/presence combo knob so I usually keep that pretty low as well. If things start sounding muffled, then subtract mids and lows. Don't start cranking treble.

Here's a clip of the sounds I'm getting out of my amp:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=520434&songID=4503968

It takes some work to figure out how the El D behaves but I gotta say I now love the amp. It is VERY flexible and I can get killer tones out of it. It's very well built and the people at Genz are good folks.

• Members

great clip mixolydian
really love the part at 1:51

Im getting one of my guitars installed with an emg81 right now, picking it up tonight
will play with your settings, the only pedal of any kind I have is a sansamp GT1 which will alter the tone too much so maybe I have to go shopping again

• Members

Thanks for the props.

The EMG 81 will definitely help to tighten things up.

I boost mine with a Jekyll & Hyde. I use the Jekyll side, which is equivalent to a TS-808. It really tightens up the low end and smooths things out. Give the J&H (or a comparable OD) a try.

BTW, since the amp takes pedals so well, using OD on the clean channel also sounds killer. So you could easily end up with 3+ channels/tones only a click away.

• Members

well, I got an EMG81 installed
huge difference to my ear, so much louder and cleaner and full range tone compared to the stock pickups

I remade the same simple clip for comparison
http://www.r4d.org/stuff/genzbenz8.mp3

next things to try are a boost and an eq in the loop
Theres plenty of info around on boost options but most people seem to use the boss stomp for eq, this seems a bit strange to me, anyone want to suggest a good rack eq? parametric would be better surely!

• Members

Originally posted by futurism

difficult to get a lot of things here in australia

however I see presonus have a nice half unit 3 band mono parametric that looks perfect

I should be able to get one of those in Australia

I'm after one of them too.

I think Pro Audio Supplies in Canberra sells them. I haven't seen them in their 2005 Catalogue but they might put it in the next one.

I'm not sure how much they charge though.

• Members

Originally posted by futurism

sorry I couldnt find the existing thread

Heres a clip from my Genz Benz El Diablo 100 Watt head

had it about a week

signal chain

Ibanez RG with Stock INF pickup (bridge) -> Genz Benz El Diablo -> gflex 4x12 cab -> sm57 on axis against grill pointing at edge of dust cap -> crappy alto mic pre

no post effects, doubled the rhythm guitar added some sampled drums, no bass on this

same thing with rhythm guitars only

and a pic for those that arent familiar with the amp..taken in the dark with a long exposure, hence the close encounters looking LED's

I am inexperienced at recording big amps with a mic, but like what I have been getting with a little effort so far, compared to my POD XT or sansamp that I am used to

Rhythm sounds fizzy to me on the top end. The Genz Benz has always been to fizzy for my tastes. The lead tone wasn't bad though.

• Members

These El Diablo clips sound excellent!
And I dont mind the top end being there, it does not sound irritating to my ear like in most amps... maybe is the cab as well that allows it to sound fizzy but not tireing, great sounds!
I think Fates Warning recorded with an El Diablo on the FWX album, some of the best guitar sounds for my taste! Noble! :)

• Members

I will have some better quality clips, longer and more varied, coming on the weekend
unfortunately I work a plane flight away from where I live most of the time.
Just before I left for the plane I restrung my guitar which I got the new EMG installed on and it seems to have made quite a difference, plus I rearranged my whole recording room, for whatever reason I seemed to have a log more gain to my ears.

The next clip will be more like a song with varied tones from the el diablo, featuring my crappy playing, or 100 takes of the same parts until its right!

stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

thread ressurection from page 45!
I recorded half a song with the genz benz this morning
not too much mixing etc, sounds like its mixed a bit hot at the moment, some might like that

ibanez with emg81 -> genz benz el diablo 100 -> gflex 4x12 -> sm57 on axis edge of dust cap, against the grill -> alto mic pre

rhythm guitars are doubled
theres a crappy 1st take lead at the end
the opening riff has a high and low pass filter, totally ripping off the intro to the arch enemy album
mostly just a collection of heavy riffs to test my recording
the first riff after the intro has some issues with feedback, I was really close to the amp when recording it

http://www.r4d.org/stuff/futurism-random_thrashing4.mp3

Archived