Dream Theater - Images and Words

SFW

• Members

I popped this CD in the truck this morning on the way to work. Wow! I had forgotten how good this disc was. The wankery is cool, but my favorite section on the disc is the rhythem guitar unter the keyboard solo on "Take The Time." And "Under A Glass Moon" is just an outstanding track. It also reminded me why Kevin Moore was my favorite DT keyboard player.

Discuss...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nah... I&W, Awake and Scenes From A Memory are great discs in my opinion. I even liked Train of Though. They defiantly had something going on I&W though. I like Jordan Rugess, but I think Kevin Moore was a better fit for the band.

• Members
Originally posted by SFW

I like Jordan Rugess, but I think Kevin Moore was a better fit for the band.

Yes... and no. Kevin Moore might have been a more adept songwriter, but he was too much into all this ambiental stuff that the rest of the band had no interest in playing.

Scenes from a Memory is prolly among my all time favourite music. I know of the existance of very, very few compositions that can rival the musicianship in that one, in any genre :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by SFW

I popped this CD in the truck this morning on the way to work. Wow! I had forgotten how good this disc was. The wankery is cool, but my favorite section on the disc is the rhythem guitar unter the keyboard solo on "Take The Time." And "Under A Glass Moon" is just an outstanding track. It also reminded me why Kevin Moore was my favorite DT keyboard player.

Discuss...

those are the two best tracks on the CD...

one of their best albums...before they went into left field...some good grooves and unison stuff goin' on with the keys and guitar, etc, etc....and lebrie isn't so annoying on that one =)

I used to listen to take the time over and over and OVER again...

• Members

Kevin moore wanted to change directions in music and go into more of an industrial type of music / my bloody valentine vibe.
That said, I'm not so sure how much influence he had in the writing process with DT.

The only thing that I used to hate about Kevin in DT is the sounds that he use to use on the albums. He basically just used patches on his keyboards instead of learning how to program his own sound lol :D (just a pet peave of mine!)
I have to give the guy props because nothing was ever sequenced. The guy was pretty much a midiot as far as keyboard players go.

My buddy Rich helped Kevin write most of his industrial tunes after he left the band but nothing ever really came of it. I heard that Kevin released some of the stuff and my buddy Rich kind of got the shaft.

• Members
Originally posted by gainfreak

Kevin moore wanted to change directions in music and go into more of an industrial type of music / my bloody valentine vibe.

That said, I'm not so sure how much influence he had in the writing process with DT.

The only thing that I used to hate about Kevin in DT is the sounds that he use to use on the albums. He basically just used patches on his keyboards instead of learning how to program his own sound lol
:D
(just a pet peave of mine!)

I have to give the guy props because nothing was ever sequenced. The guy was pretty much a midiot as far as keyboard players go.

My buddy Rich helped Kevin write most of his industrial tunes after he left the band but nothing ever really came of it. I heard that Kevin released some of the stuff and my buddy Rich kind of got the shaft.

yeah, but soundwise..you like jordan's carnival atmosphere better? lol

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

yeah, but soundwise..you like jordan's carnival atmosphere better? lol

No!

the problem is when I used to work with a Keyboard player, the guy was a genius (I don't throw that word around much)

This guy used to custom program his own sounds and they fit into the tunes perfectly. I think that is a lost art these days with a lot of keyboard players(Jordan included).

• Members

No!

the problem is when I used to work with a Keyboard player, the guy was a genius (I don't throw that word around much)

This guy used to custom program his own sounds and they fit into the tunes perfectly. I think that is a lost art these days with a lot of keyboard players(Jordan included).

I guess there's two schools of thought and sometimes they overlap..the sequencers (programmers) and the players...lol....

sometimes you can get the best of both worlds..

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

any updates on the ampfest you mentioned awhile back, my brother in purple guitars? =D

Working on it!! I just talked to SteveVHT lastnight about it. I'm going to see what we can come up with.

The only problem that is slowing me down is that I was asked to join a really good coverband and I have to leard an assload of tunes. They asked me to play a show with them on Dec 2nd. I'll pretty much be the house guitar player because my other band is playing the same gig. Lots of work to do in 3 weeks time!

• Members

Working on it!! I just talked to SteveVHT lastnight about it. I'm going to see what we can come up with.

The only problem that is slowing me down is that I was asked to join a really good coverband and I have to leard an assload of tunes. They asked me to play a show with them on Dec 2nd. I'll pretty much be the house guitar player because my other band is playing the same gig. Lots of work to do in 3 weeks time!

I hear that man! my new band's first gig is on Dec 9!! Lots of work to do between now and then..I feel your pain =D

Archived