So I got a new toy! (PICS!)

DirtyBird

• Members

Not that anyone cares, but I figured I'd post anyway.

I'm hardly a gear whore, I've been faithful to my FJA 5150 for damn near 4 years now. I love that amp, I'd be surprised if I dont have it in 10 years.

I went to a local store to see how much a Boss RC20XL would cost, assoles want $295 for it. Losers. I went to the other local music store, they didnt have any at all.

However, I found a Peavey Classic 120 power amp, and they wanted $549 for it.

I was about ot leave, guy comes up and he's like "Is there anything I can help you with?"

I was like "Nah, I'd like that Classic 120 over there but that price is WAY too high." I expected that to be the end of it. I'm not some kind of expert haggler, in fact, I think that's teh first time I've EVER haggled on anything in a store.

But I knew that thing was there 6 months ago. I knew they hadn't sold it, and I thought just maybe they'd take the bait. Things around here are so overpriced and people are so misinformed I never expected to get any kind of negotiation, guy says "i'll see what I can do" and then comes back and asks if $295 is okay.

I was like sure! :thu:

Been playing it with my Rockmaster all night, I bought it from Skyhighrocks a year ago or so, never used it much because it was a hassle to get it plugged into my 5150, and I've been wanting a decent backup rig to my 5150 for a while. Never had a proper power amp to pair with it.

Well, that Rockmaster definitely sounds better through the Classic 120 than my 5150. Not really sure why, but it does. The rockmaster is SO versatile. :eek: I'm still amazed at all the tonal options available to me on it. I've got a $125 preamp (I think that's what I paid for it, somewhere around there) and a $300 power amp... and this thing sounds better than any $500 tube head I've ever heard. At least since my 5150, which I got for $500 shipped back when that was the actual going rate for 'em.

I spent 15 minutes dismantling the Classic 120 with the intentions of putting some fresh 6l6's in it, but I discovered some tubes that said "Peavey" on them and said "made in the USA". What tubes are these? Peaey branded made in the USA tubes?

I was shocked to see the Made in the USA on them, if they had said made in any other country I wouldn't have cared... I'm curious to see if anyone knows whta they are.

Also, what do the 3 preamp tubes do? They're also all Peavey brand, also made in the USA. Do I have some fairly interesting tubes here? I dont know where those "legendary" 5150 Sylvania tubes were made, but I was wondering if they were the same thing.

Either way, pics as promised. I j ust wanted to get some good angles of that RG520, it's a beautiful guitar. :)

PeaveyClassic120a.jpg

PeaveyClassic120b.jpg

PeaveyClassic120c.jpg

KyleGuitarClassic.jpg

• Members

Cool SCORE!!!!!!!
The preamp tubes are drivers for the power amp in some way shape or form. I am not informed enough to tell you quite how they function.

IF those are 6L6 tubes you have in there you may have just stumbled upon a set of Sylvania power amp tubes!!!!!!!!

Major score!!!!!!!

Congrats!

Gary

• Members
Originally posted by riffy

Cool SCORE!!!!!!!

The preamp tubes are drivers for the power amp in some way shape or form. I am not informed enough to tell you quite how they function.

Yeah I expected a phase inverter... but I have 3 tubes... ?
:confused:

One is a 12AT7, the other two are 12AX7's. One of those has to be a phase inverter, Im guessing one of them has something to do with the line out but still... :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by 496dart

I had that exact setup in 93---sounded great for the money. And those tubes arent made in usa....The amps were.

peavey used USA-made sylvania 6L6s in their amps back then... that's part of the reason people think the blockletter 5150s sound better.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

peavey used USA-made sylvania 6L6s in their amps back then... that's part of the reason people think the blockletter 5150s sound better.

what---NOS Sylvanias? As far as i know , we havent manufactured tubes here since the late 60's--correct me if im wrong

• Members

Very cool. Lots of power there. ;)

I used to have a Rockmaster/Classic 50/50 back around '99, in my 3rd year of college. It was a decent rig.

I think 2 of the tubes are phase inverters (1 for each side of the stereo power amp), and I think the other one is just an input buffer for before the PIs.

• Members

what---NOS Sylvanias? As far as i know , we havent manufactured tubes here since the late 60's--correct me if im wrong

They say "Made in the USA" ON the tubes. I dont think Peavey could get away with falsifying country of origin labels...

Also, I have some US JAN Phillips 12AX7's from the 80s. SO they were making tubes in the US up until then I think.

• Members

the US made tubes until the 80s, and peavey had a fairly large stock of them when production stopped.

• Members
Originally posted by DirtyBird

I'm not some kind of expert haggler, in fact, I think that's teh first time I've EVER haggled on anything in a store.

But I knew that thing was there 6 months ago. I knew they hadn't sold it, and I thought just maybe they'd take the bait. guy says "i'll see what I can do" and then comes back and asks if $295 is okay.

I was like sure!
:thu:
PeaveyClassic120a.jpg

Congrats,& welcome to the "real world of haggling"!
It usually only gets better/easier,too!!!
:D

Now go get a rack on the cheap!!!
:thu:

Archived