PODxt + Boss GE-7 TEST Clip...Need some opinions

WillShrdForFood

• Members

Alright I've been fiddling with this thing for about a half an hour since I got off work and I feel im making some progress. Link in sig titled PODxt +GE-7 Test. First clip is using the GE-7 with the PODxt, the second part is without the GE-7 how I normally record. Let me know which sounds better. No post EQ, not even Sonic Maximizer like I always use, total plug-n-play tone.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=532661

• Members

Hey man! Nice playing!!!!!
I like the one without the GE-7 to be honest.
I think the eq is notching out a bit too much of your
mid content and making the highs and really high mids
on your guitar too "sharp" sounding.

But in a full mix and double tracked, that could work,
I would have to hear it to know for sure though!

Gary

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

Hey man! Nice playing!!!!!

I like the one without the GE-7 to be honest.

I think the eq is notching out a bit too much of your

mid content and making the highs and really high mids

on your guitar too "sharp" sounding.

But in a full mix and double tracked, that could work,

I would have to hear it to know for sure though!

Gary

Thanks man...Hmm, I have the mid knob on the PODxt turned all the way up, I should probably back that down some and bump down a few sliders on the EQ a hair. That is doubletracked BTW, I just wish I had a bass to record with. And thats your sexy Ibanez you're hearing too, haha

• Members

I've always liked how you've done your clips, with and without the variable so everyone can hear.

I like the second one better. The first one makes it sound like that a meshuggah type grind, but way faker - or something. Too much of that strange honky mid grind. It IS awesome sometimes though.

:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by OldMTDP8350

I've always liked how you've done your clips, with and without the variable so everyone can hear.

I like the second one better. The first one makes it sound like that a meshuggah type grind, but way faker - or something. Too much of that strange honky mid grind. It IS awesome sometimes though.

Thanks man, I want to figure out that Meshuggah/Tesseract style of playing but I just cant seem to replicate any of it at all. Im in love with that style but I cant seem to play it, I need an instructional video of some sort, haha. Im still working on getting this tone, I havent had much time to work with it.. I'll get 'er eventually :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by WillShrdForFood

Thanks man, I want to figure out that Meshuggah/Tesseract style of playing but I just cant seem to replicate any of it at all. Im in love with that style but I cant seem to play it, I need an instructional video of some sort, haha. Im still working on getting this tone, I havent had much time to work with it.. I'll get 'er eventually

I know, its awesome stuff.

• Members

I prefer the 2nd as well. The first one does sound slightly more "fake", are the EQ sliders quite a way away from 0? I found that on a graphic EQ when I have the sliders at their extremes (or at least quite far away from 0) it makes it sound really fake, but subtle changes are often the best :thu:

• Members

Thanks man, I want to figure out that Meshuggah/Tesseract style of playing but I just cant seem to replicate any of it at all. Im in love with that style but I cant seem to play it, I need an instructional video of some sort, haha. Im still working on getting this tone, I havent had much time to work with it.. I'll get 'er eventually

Haha nawww *feels loved* :p

I can't listen to it as im at work atm but ill check it when im at home. What kind of settings are you using on the EQ and what model n stuff on the POD ?

• Members
Originally posted by Tesseract

Haha nawww *feels loved*
:p

I can't listen to it as im at work atm but ill check it when im at home. What kind of settings are you using on the EQ and what model n stuff on the POD ?

Haha, you're the master dude, I wish I could learn that {censored}. That style is so alien to me but it sounds so {censored}in cool, I must learn it!

As far as the Boss goes, I have the level all the way up, cut 200 to about the first line below 0, 400 is a little but above that but still under 0, bumped 800 up a little, bumped 1.6 a wee bit higher, and 3.2 and 6.4 are at 0.

I'm using the Big Bottom model. Drive around 10 o'clock, Bass at 1 o'clock, mids at 9 o'clock, trebel at 2 o'clock, presence between 11 and 12 o'clock and the volume maxed. Treadplate cab with 57 off axis mic.

I dont have clue how to "properly" set this up, so I'm just going by trial and error. Some patches to start off with wouldnt hurt :idea::thu:

• Members

Haha, you're the master dude, I wish I could learn that {censored}. That style is so alien to me but it sounds so {censored}in cool, I must learn it!

As far as the Boss goes, I have the level all the way up, cut 200 to about the first line below 0, 400 is a little but above that but still under 0, bumped 800 up a little, bumped 1.6 a wee bit higher, and 3.2 and 6.4 are at 0.

I'm using the Big Bottom model. Drive around 10 o'clock, Bass at 1 o'clock, mids at 9 o'clock, trebel at 2 o'clock, presence between 11 and 12 o'clock and the volume maxed. Treadplate cab with 57 off axis mic.

I dont have clue how to "properly" set this up, so I'm just going by trial and error. Some patches to start off with wouldnt hurt
:idea::thu:

Nice i used to use the EQ7 with my pod but i use the TC pre now. I use the GEQ7 live though with my powerball with pretty much the same settings as you. Only thing is i only have the gain on the EQ at about the first step...anything above that usualyl gets noisy - but the gain on ur POD is kinda low anyway so its prob cool. My eq settings on the boss are 100+200 dipped down to the first step or just a bit above it to get rid of the sag....and 800 +1.6 boosted like yours for some Jenty bite.

Only thing i'd say is boost those mids :p Mine are at like 4 o clock or something but that might just be my mix, whatever works! I use same mic position but a different cab. Cant remember which - its one of the 4x12s like the v30s one of the brit 75s.

Ill listen this afternoon! :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Tesseract

Nice i used to use the EQ7 with my pod but i use the TC pre now. I use the GEQ7 live though with my powerball with pretty much the same settings as you. Only thing is i only have the gain on the EQ at about the first step...anything above that usualyl gets noisy - but the gain on ur POD is kinda low anyway so its prob cool. My eq settings on the boss are 100+200 dipped down to the first step or just a bit above it to get rid of the sag....and 800 +1.6 boosted like yours for some Jenty bite.

Only thing i'd say is boost those mids
:p
Mine are at like 4 o clock or something but that might just be my mix, whatever works! I use same mic position but a different cab. Cant remember which - its one of the 4x12s like the v30s one of the brit 75s.

Ill listen this afternoon!

Woops I'm retarded, I had the mids at 3 o'clock not 9, must've got a burst of dyslexia or something. But thanks for the help man! Lemme know what you think when you listen to it

• Members

the 1st one sounds far better.

why?

Coz when u get a bass in there it will fill out the lower mids/lows and the guitars will cut thru nice
guitars will get lost in mix of 2nd one with bass imo.

id say turn the gain down a bit more though

• Members
Originally posted by Drago

the 1st one sounds far better.

why?

Coz when u get a bass in there it will fill out the lower mids/lows and the guitars will cut thru nice

guitars will get lost in mix of 2nd one with bass imo.

id say turn the gain down a bit more though

Hmm, I was thinking that too, but I have no means of recording bass so I dont know what to do. I tried to cheat and use the pitch bender on my PODxt with a clean tone but that didnt work. I also tried to use the pitch bender in Adobe Audition and that didnt work, my closest friend with a bass is 60 miles away. Gyod damn bass!

Drago, what tuning do you guys use in Fell Silent?

• Members

Hmm, I was thinking that too, but I have no means of recording bass so I dont know what to do. I tried to cheat and use the pitch bender on my PODxt with a clean tone but that didnt work. I also tried to use the pitch bender in Adobe Audition and that didnt work, my closest friend with a bass is 60 miles away. Gyod damn bass!

Drago, what tuning do you guys use in Fell Silent?

Buy a bass :p

Tuning is Dadgad in Bb so..

Bb, F, Bb, Eb, F, Bb, Eb - Thank Acle for us using that.

Archived