5150 cab vs 1960 cab...

DirtyBird

• Members

I've heard people say the 1960's are cheap entry level 4x12s. That they're kind of the poor man's decent cab, etc.

I've heard peopel say they sound GREAT with 5150's.

I've herad people say 5150 cabs sound good with the 5150, but they sound bad with everything else.

And unfotunately the gear selection around here is such taht I cant play through both to compare.

However, I found a 5150 cab for $550 locally, used, I think I can haggle that down a bit...

So Im trying to figure out if that 5150 cab is going to last me a while or whether the minute I throw another amp on top of it (I want a Single Recto) it will be useless and I'd have been beter off getting something else.

Perhaps I'm overanalyzing this?

Either way, Im just mad I can't use the damn search, I've seen a million threads on this and never bothered to look. :rolleyes:

• Members

i've owned both, personally i wouldn't pay over $300 for a 5150 cab. It was a cool cab and does sound good with the 5150/6505 but not so great with anything i used it with. 1960A is alot better, but for some reason that cab is harsh. I used the T75's in other cabs and they are not harsh like they were in that cab. Its a good sounding cab as long as you don't sit right in front of it at eye level.

• Members

i have a BX cab..its the same {censored} as all the rest of the marshall cabs they make.(the good ones at least) and it has V30's in it..i took out the greenies and put in Mesa's speakers..(i love the cab now).i also have next to it is a 5150 Bottom..also a great cab ( altho in here..not every one is a fan)..ive have had the best Mesa's you can buy..the ones in the road cases..with Black widows and EV's...to me they sucked..way to clean.will peel paint off a barn at 100 feet...

what this boils down to is what do you like.?.I personaly like the Marshall cabs and i like the Mesa cabs..the only thing i can see me doing is getting a Raw (non tolex) cab and load it up..or a nice Recto cab....but i sort have that in what im using...

the 5150 is more like greenie loaded cab with a little different sound to it..

alot of people like Greenies..i dont..but i do like the 5150 cab..would i buy a Bogner cab..maybe..but i can get a MOJO for 1/2 the price unloaded..

make any sense.??? didnt think so...

its up to you what you like..either cab is a good one..

( btw..im using a Mrk3 that been worked over and Mako CHW)..

and im looking for an Bogner..(not sure which one)..:)

• Members

Here's my personal opinion.

I have a 5150 II -> 1960 B setup, and I've seen a 5150 II through a 5150 cab setup live. To my ears it sounded a lot more gritty - in a bad way, like there was sand in the speakers or something.

In my honest opinion, I can not imagine you not being able to find a 1960 Cab for less than $550 - even shipped. And to me, a 5150 cab is just a lamer version of a 1960B, which only has a few amps it sounds good with anyways (to my knowledge, just 5150's and JCM's :freak: )

• Members

Originally posted by bob the dentist

Here's my personal opinion.

I have a 5150 II -> 1960 B setup, and I've seen a 5150 II through a 5150 cab setup live. To my ears it sounded a lot more gritty - in a bad way, like there was sand in the speakers or something.)

its the amp..not the cab...

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

5150 cabs are very well built (all solid ply) and to me they sound quite good. i think $550 is waaaaay too high a price though.

This is the same place that had a Peavey Classic 120 power amp for $550.

I said "That price is WAAAAY too high, though" and the guy was like "Well, how about $280?"

And I was like.. yea.. {censored}, that's cool.... :D

So maybe I can get lucky with that cab too, but I dont know.

What would you guys say is a fair price? $400?

• Members

$550 is WAAAY too much for a 5150 cab, seriously i've known people who couldn't give them away for $250 in great condition..you could easily buy a much nicer used cab for that price

i think the 1960 sounds pretty good with a 5150, if you can get a pair of governers or v30's to X with those 75's they can really sound great

the 5150 cab sounds ok with the matching amp, but like a lot of people say it doesn't work well with anything else...i wouldn't pay more than $300 for a mint one

$550 would get you a used mesa or splawn if you can find one, $400 should get you a used marshall

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

5150 cabs are very well built (all solid ply) and to me they sound quite good. i think $550 is waaaaay too high a price though.

that why i dont get people bashing that cab..it is built like a tank and it solid wood the whole way thru..i think it has more to do with the name then what there hearing..personaly for the money i think its steal.

I paid $450 for mine new.:)..I paid $800 for the marshall..also new in a box..

• Members

Originally posted by xbryanx

personally im not a fan of marshall cabs at all. too scooped. id take a 5150 cab over it any day, but $550 is retardedly high. talk it down and get the peavy

that's more the speakers than the cabinet

if you swap out the g12-75's for some g12-30h's, greenbacks, or v30's, you'll find those mids that you were lacking.

scott.

• Members

Originally posted by warplanegrey

that's more the speakers than the cabinet

if you swap out the g12-75's for some g12-30h's, greenbacks, or v30's, you'll find those mids that you were lacking.

scott.

well why would i bother buying a marshall cab if i were going to swap the speakers? they have awful construction, itd be a better investment to just buy a cab with V30s already in it.

• Members

Originally posted by xbryanx

well why would i bother buying a marshall cab if i were going to swap the speakers? they have awful construction, itd be a better investment to just buy a cab with V30s already in it.

the 1960 cabs aweful construction? Do you know what you are talking about? I don't own one anymore but its not build bad at all. Some people don't like its sound, but the construction is good.

• Members

marshalls are fingered corners..not like bogner which is bisquit style...and everyone loves the bog cabs...lol..

buy a MOJO...and save the money..loaded with some nice g12h-30's and be loving it..save money too..

id rather have a non-tolex cab right now..nice and cutting with the right amount of bottom.just EVH used to do..you can find beat to {censored} marshalls on fleabay and save even more if you want to go thru the stipping deal.

• Members

Originally posted by stangme01

How much are Mojo 4x12's with g12h30's? And are they undersized, standard, or oversized?

there on evilbay for like $350..maybe even $300..new there like $450 (unloaded)

thats brand new too.for another $400 you can load it with what ever you want to..

Archived