* Update on amp situation (Hal, Dann's the Man, Tommi!, F-series guys advice wanted!)

Bassified

• Members

Finding the right tube amp is tough, so I need some advice. I got an email back from my local music shop and here are the ones listed that can be traded for a Mesa Mark IIB:

Soldano Astroverb 16

Fender HRD

Traynor YCV50

Mesa F30

Mesa F50 (a deal may be worked out)

Marshall TSL60 head

and a bunch of solid states.....

I like my Mark IIB, but the downside is the shared eq and the weight. The IIB seems more like a 'studio' amp than a 'live' amp. It's difficult to get good tones for both channels. I mean, you can get good ones, but difficult for awesome ones on both. Once you get an awesome tone on both channels, you're pretty much stuck. The distortion is nice and the clean is good, but I'm not sure if I will be better off with any of the listed amps. I'm not sure if the Soldano would be enough for a band, so information is needed. It's also a single channel, so it probably won't be as flexible. I am going to pass on both the Fender HRD and Traynor YCV50.

Now here we go: the Mesa dilemma. I played the F-30 before and I must say I liked it a lot- no matter the random settings, single coil or humbucker guitars, I can see myself using those settings to play. The seperate EQ is really good and this is where it beats the IIB. I can get a good clean without changing the sound on the other channel when it's a live performance. What different distortion can I get with this compared to the Mark IIB?

Marshall TSL60 head....I'll need a cabinet with it and I don't think this will give me a light setup. Still, it's being considered.

Basically, I'm looking for an amp that meets these requirements:

1) Good clean & distortion

2) Enough to cut through in a 4-piece rock band (drummer is really loud)

3) Ideally something around 40 lbs. IIB is around 50+ lbs. If the head is 40 lbs and the cabinet is 40 lbs, that meets the requirement. As long as carrying one object is around 40.

4) Reliable!

5) Versatile.

Anyways, any input on any of the listed amps (besides the Traynor and the HRD) would be appreciated!

:)

• Members

1) Cleans are special on the F-series and distortion is more on rectifier side on 2-ch contour, but without it the sound is Markish although not as smooth. Still very very nice.

2) I think both will cut in your band... I don't have any problems with our progressive metal band... the volume is at 9:30-10:00 on my F50.

3) Well, it isn't the lightest series, but physically it's quite small or should I say "right-sized" so it's easy to carry.

4) My problem have been with the fuse which sometimes blows if gig place have bad electricity... few spare fuses on the bag fixes this.

5) Yep.

Marshall TSL60 has totally different type of sound... I actually think that DSL50 sounds better.

From the other listed, Traynor YCV50 is cool, although I prefer the Traynor YCV40 (with vintage30) because it has 6L6's.

Hopefully there's some useful info on the lines above :)

• Members

Bassified,

1) Good clean & distortion: F-series does clean and mean very well. I liken the clean to a Blackface Twin, but channel 1 can be pushed into crunch easily with the gain all the way up. I personally think the clean is as good as the Lone Star and only gives up the lush reverb. The distortion side is Mark-series inspired on the channel 2, and Contour will get you similar tones to a Recto, but the treble and high mids aren't as aggressive sounding. Of course, the F-30 is going to have more chime on cleans due to the EL-84 output section, and bit more British flair on the OD side compared to the F-50. I personally like the F-50/100 for clean tones better because I like 6L6s. I also prefer the OD side with 6L6s which is why I use a Mesa F-100. I have clips in my sig for a range of tones.

2) Enough to cut through in a 4-piece rock band (drummer is really loud): Both the F-30 and F-50 should be loud enough to play in almost any band unless you need super loud cleans, and then I would take the F-50.

3) Ideally something around 40 lbs. IIB is around 50+ lbs. If the head is 40 lbs and the cabinet is 40 lbs, that meets the requirement. As long as carrying one object is around 40: The F-30 combo is 47 lbs, and the F-50 combo is 54 lbs, so either is going to be "heavy" according to your specs. I use a 77 lb F-100 2x12, so I don't consider 50 lbs to be heavy at all. In contrast, the F-30 head is only 22 lbs, where the F-50 head is 35 lbs. If you can swing it, a Mesa F-50 head on top of an Avatar G212H PREMIER 2x12 (CL80/Hellatone 60L) would be sweet!

4) Reliable! I've not had a single problem with my F-100 for almost 4 years of practices and gigs. most owners report the usually problems with bad tubes, or an occasional fuse blowing, but serious issues are rare (like what happened to Dan Bronson). Mesa amps are well-built and should last a long time. Check out this gut shot of an F-30:

f-30-circuitry-Lg.jpg

5) Versatile: The F-series is very versatile for everything from country, to classic rock, to classic metal to really heavy stuff. If you're into death metal, I'd personally use an EQ out front and one in the loop to get the tightest bass possible.

• Members

Either of the F-series amps would be just fine and I doubt there is a big volume difference between 30 and 50 watts just different tone due to the different power tubes. I'm personally probably go with the 30 since I really dig that el84 sound but that's just me.

• Members
Originally posted by Sordid1

Either of the F-series amps would be just fine and I doubt there is a big volume difference between 30 and 50 watts just different tone due to the different power tubes. I'm personally probably go with the 30 since I really dig that el84 sound but that's just me.

I agree that in distortion, the F-30 can be very loud, but I just wanted to note that the F-30 is actually 22 W. Like you said, most people choose the tone of the amp over the volume capability. :)

• Members

Hi Bassified,

If you're likely to buy from this store, perhaps they would be open to you trialling the amps over a weekend or so, so that you can try using the amp in anger with your band. You'll likely have to leave a deposit to cover the cost of the amp, but as long as you have the option to return it, then this should really help you make up your mind. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

P.S. The F-series cost double the price of the Marshall TSLs and DSLs here in Europe - I happily purchased my F-50 because I preferred the voicing.

• Members

Hey guys,
Thanks for the advice and input!

Both the F-30 and F-50 should be loud enough to play in almost any band unless you need super loud cleans

Does the F-30 clean channel stay clean or does it start to break up once you past noon on the volume?

perhaps they would be open to you trialling the amps over a weekend or so, so that you can try using the amp in anger with your band

It should work in practice. I used a 15 watt solid state cranked in practice before, but last time's gig, it didn't really do work that well. So a live setting is really different than a practice setting.

Anyways, how about the Soldano? It's only 20 watts, but since the Mesa F-30 is rated at 22 watts, it doesn't seem too far fetched. The Soldano is only single channel, so I'll need to use my guitar volume a lot for cleans and distortion. I'm thinking about lower tube wattage, but at the same time enough for a band because I want to push the tubes. I heard that pushing the tubes will get you a very nice tone. At 60 watts (IIB) or 50 watts (F-50), it's kind of difficult without hurting your ears.

Oh by the way, anyone with experience with these amps should post here. It's just that I assume Hal, Dann, and Tommi are really active in the Mesa F-series lounge.

Archived