Well They Got me again. Just upgraded to Sonar X1

kennychaffin

• Members
skipped the 8.5 update but sucked me in on this one even if I'm really just a dilettante at this.

I upgraded to 8.5 last summer. If I'd waited i could have gotten X1 for the same price. But I had no choice. I was still on SONAR 3, and I went from Win98 to Win7. SONAR 3 did not like Win7 one bit.

• Members

Keep us posted on your progress with Sonar X1.

I have ran Sonar 6 on an XP PC for years. That PC was on the internet and has slowed down to the point that it was almost unusable. So I bought a new Windows 7 PC with the thought that I immediately would upgrade to X1. That's when I learned that they have revised the PCI format, so my trusty M-Audio Delta 44 sound card will not work on my new machine. Money I saved for the Sonar update (and then some) went for a new Presonus card. A real hassle to set up. So much so, that now that I have Sonar 6 running half way decent, the last thing that I want to do is spend hours configuring a new piece of software.

Long story short, I have had this new PC, that should run faster than hell, for about two months. Part of the reason the new machine has taken so long to set up is that I refuse to put in on the interweb. Transferring licenses without an internet connection is incredibly time consuming. I would estimate that it took me three or four attempts, of at least an hour each, to license Sampletank on my new machine. I have just gotten to the point where I am spending time making music again, rather than fooling with authorizations, etc.

Nevertheless, I am jonesing for X1. Let me know how you like it. The Sonar forum is too involved.

• Members

Part of the reason the new machine has taken so long to set up is that I refuse to put in on the interweb.

Could've saved yourself the frustration. The problem with internet connections is there only if they're permanent and untrusted - if you got yourself or your family downloading and browsing Lord knows what all the time, and opening mail and playing Flash games and installing all kinds of other crud.

Your software came from a trusted site. Otherwise you wouldn't have bought it, right? You're dealing with a reputable company somewhere in the civilized world, not a shady Russian warezserver run by the local mob. So why can't you simply just go there and download/activate stuff?

Furthermore, if it's Win 7, it does not have the leaky piece of crap known as IE6, which is one of the biggest disease vectors. So, you could've updated and activated and all that online all of the time - if you only kept everyone else away and didn't browse to any sites other than those of the MI mfgs. If you're bored during installation, go do something else or browse on another computer to pass the time. Your computer has the most patience of you two :).

• Members

Could've saved yourself the frustration. The problem with internet connections is there only if they're
permanent and untrusted
- if you got yourself or your family downloading and browsing Lord knows what all the time, and opening mail and playing Flash games and installing all kinds of other crud.

Your software came from a
trusted
site. Otherwise you wouldn't have bought it, right? You're dealing with a reputable company somewhere in the civilized world, not a shady Russian warezserver run by the local mob. So why can't you simply just go there and download/activate stuff?

Furthermore, if it's Win 7, it does not have the leaky piece of crap known as IE6, which is one of the biggest disease vectors. So, you could've updated and activated and all that online all of the time - if you only kept everyone else away and didn't browse to any sites other than those of the MI mfgs. If you're bored during installation, go do something else or browse on another computer to pass the time. Your computer has the most patience of you two
:)

Yes this. I no longer have my kids around the house, but when I did I banned them from my computer/workstation. They had their own -- my older machines and they were constantly virused and crashed and having to be reinstalled.

I have a Firebox external audio interface (from my previous computers). I was able to install X1 - have it pick up my preferences from Sonar 8 and I was good to go! Amazing - no hassle what-so-ever.

• Members

Having the internet connection is ok for doing things like updates and licensing activations. When you are done, unplug it. No internet problems after that.

One thing about buying a "store bought" PC is all the crap they load on it - trial versions of stuff, tools and vendor specific stuff you'll never use. The 1st thing I did on this PC and my wife's new laptop was get to the add/remove programs panel and delete everything that we'd never use.

Archived