Jean Michel Jarre overrated?

tangerine

• Members

In my opinion YES!

I think that most of his music sounds like circus music and is really boring just like circus(I hate circus).

It was the earliest records that had some good tracks on it but no record nailed all tracks on it.

He got most of his fame for the concerts and laser shows and some early tracks.

Now the music is to laugh at, some wannabe techno thing, what happened to the early works and the old analog synth music he became most famous for? why not continue that?

I think Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, YMO is the real deal!

;)

• Members

Jarre is the man that got me into electronic music dont think he is overated, he is among the 2-3 pioneers of this genre but i agree that
he shouldnt be doing tracks that are not his style
and stay in what he can do best...
;)

What? he can, like you, do what he wants, that he has a fan base does not prclude him from trying new directions

if he was rehashing his old style everyone would slam him for repeating his former glory

• Members

I don't completely get him. I like his first two albums. After that, he just kind of went too over the top for me with his gigantic once in a lifetime event concerts and different style. Even the two albums I like (Oxygen and Equinox) aren't as good as classic Tangerine Dream and Klause Schulze albums from the same period. I 'm not an expert on JMJ at all. But I just don't get the same tension and release off his stuff. Lots of cool sounds and his gear has always been the coolest.

• Members

I don't completely get him. I like his first two albums. After that, he just kind of went too over the top for me with his gigantic once in a lifetime event concerts and different style. Even the two albums I like (Oxygen and Equinox) aren't as good as classic Tangerine Dream and Klause Schulze albums from the same period.

You see.. I guess you don't completely get him. Btw I'm no fanboy... and as a teen hearing Oxygen 8 from him first.. I liked it but really had to raise an eyebrow.

Comparing him to Tangerine Dream is way off,... it's more of a prog version of Kraftwerk in my opinion. Meaning very simple melodies. Which I don't find in Tangerine Dream.

Where as Kraftwerk did melody in a very robotic yet emotional way. Jarre had the same emotion but in a very spiritual way... which obviously has a more mass appeal. Hence the silly pagan concerts.

On a differnt tip. I think ZOOLOOK is one of the best leftfield pop art albums ever (not the strongest genre I know) .. along with Malcolm McLaren's DuckRock.

• Members

I was a big fan of his work when I was 16/17 which more or less got me upto Rendezvous. I think up until 86 all his work was classic... just beautiful music really well thought out.

With Oxygene you have the beautifully worked out composite textures where a sound is composed of multiple sources, a bit of EMS triangle waves with ARP2600 and so forth.. all over beautiful Eminent sounds mixed with Mellotron...

With Equinoxe its all about the sequencing and the nice bass lines with the Yamaha CS fatness..

With Magnetic fields its all about the stereo imaging and the nice use of sampling which was innovative at the time.. though quite cold sounding now I think..

With Zoolook you have fantastic production skills, the fusion of live musicians and superb sampling. One of the highpoints I think..

With Rendezvous its a revisiting of layering of sounds but with 80s synths... even some jazziness with Ron's Piece..

After this its rapidly downhill... too much reliance on synth presets, thin sounding production and poor musicality...

But 10 years of quality is good I think...

For Tangerine Dream its the same... past 1987 they sound dreadful...

So what can you say.... the D50 and Wavestation are too blame? ;)

• Members

I was a big fan of his work when I was 16/17 which more or less got me upto Rendezvous. I think up until 86 all his work was classic... just beautiful music really well thought out.

With Oxygene you have the beautifully worked out composite textures where a sound is composed of multiple sources, a bit of EMS triangle waves with ARP2600 and so forth.. all over beautiful Eminent sounds mixed with Mellotron...

With Equinoxe its all about the sequencing and the nice bass lines with the Yamaha CS fatness..

With Magnetic fields its all about the stereo imaging and the nice use of sampling which was innovative at the time.. though quite cold sounding now I think..

With Zoolook you have fantastic production skills, the fusion of live musicians and superb sampling. One of the highpoints I think..

With Rendezvous its a revisiting of layering of sounds but with 80s synths... even some jazziness with Ron's Piece..

After this its rapidly downhill... too much reliance on synth presets, thin sounding production and poor musicality...

But 10 years of quality is good I think...

So what can you say.... the D50 and Wavestation are too blame?
;)

id say thats about what i feel.

btw most magnetic fields is Oberheim OB-X... almost all stringy and polysynth themes. sampling was just cosmetic touches here n there. Zoolook is really a sampling masterpiece - tour de force of Fairlight ii, and Oberheim OB-Xa for polysynth parts.

tho must admit i never liked the mandatory acapulco-hotel-terrace 70s themes with preset organ rhythms , on the end of albums like magnetic and rendez tho... but everything else was so damn good in those ten yrs. Oxygene and Equinoxe fall into all time electronic hall of fame. Zoolook too. i do like "Virgin years" TD tad more, but that doesn't take away anything from JMJ.

id say TD went to crap much sooner than 87. Exit was last monumenthal album for me. with one exception "Le Parc" being quite solid ( the last album done with schmoeling). but in btwn those two there was lot of pseudo pop form, with solos that didnt go anywhere. still, theyre my favorite electronic band of all time, even if they only ever recorded stratosfear and force majure. and it will never change.

yes im a fanboy .. well fun-middleagedgeek to be precise,. so, sue me ;)

• Members

So what can you say.... the D50 and Wavestation are too blame?
;)

Personally, I think that the solo output of Christopher Franke, Johannes Schmoelling, and Paul Haslinger post-TD has been pretty decent.

Tangerine Dream, not so much.

Who to blame? You tell me. :idk::lol:

• Members

atari 512st and c-lab notator, of course. and christopher franke leaving.

@crhistian rock: yeah i like revolutions too. maybe not as much as early ones but it has ingenious moments as well.. that song with counterpoint btwn several analog string sequences.. tha title escapes me atm..

edit: ah its' the revolution industrielle 2. and title track is also great. ahead of its time.

[video=youtube;9_x9KBExhKo]

but, this is truly immortal:

[video=youtube;Sj7A8SX7ccI]

[video=youtube;TVI0HesmLvM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVI0HesmLvM&feature=related

Archived