The Official Metal Guitar Innovators Thread!

JohnRageOn

• Members
Originally posted by Crusher

I'd say Randy Rhoads

Nice one :thu:
I voted Eddie, because the majority of us like to tap and were impressed when they first saw this technique or heard it! I have to give the reps to Mr. Iommi who actually invented heavy riffing. All of them are equal for sure.

• Members
Originally posted by PlayboyChris

The Maestro Alex Gregory.

LMAO!!! I met that assclown at NAMM( actually I didnt meet him) I was walking by him( I wa a little sauced at the time) and I pass this guy whose NAMM badge reads "Maestro Alex Gregory" I pointed at it and started laughing my tits off... He muttered something and kept going while I was there trying not to laugh up a lung....

• Members

thordendal and hagstrom

What those guys were doing 15 years ago, everyone is ripping off now. If you wanna know what the metal of the future will sound like, listen to meshuggah.

Before that, its gotta be Iommi. He wrote all the riffs in existence, everyone else has just reworked them to fit the current trends

James

• Members
Originally posted by Highgrade

Not having Jimi on that list is a major boo-boo for sure!

what does Jimi have to do with metal?:bor::wave:

not to say he wasn't innovative, but he has not been very influential to metal as such

• Members

Originally posted by VinnieC

Chuck Schuldiner should be on there.

Everything him and death have done has been recycled and copied in all forms of metal. And any of these newer bands has copd a riff from chuck wether they know it or not.

Well personnaly I'm not into death metal. but some friends who listen to his material say he had serious chops. Even the name Death Metal became synonimous with the band Death. Too bad he died too young and he seemed like a nice guy without abusing himself.

Anyway the poll was more 70s-80s oriented about the people who laid the basic foundations!

For eg. Uli Roth, Schenker and Blackmore were the first neoclassical shredders each one with his personnal style. Jimmy Page wrote mystical and eerie compositions. Gary Moore played 'mass hysteria' lead lines flawlessly and dual guitar harmonies in Lizzy (more intricate ones like 'waiting for an alibi'). Eddie tapped and actually took the technique to a new level using diatonic scales etc...

• Members

I would say Iommi cause he is one of the founding fathers of metal. Who is more innovative than a founding father?
It would be a crime to not vote for him.

Eddie is hard to even think of as a "metal" player but he is an innovator and he would be my #2 choice.

• Members
Originally posted by gafyagaton

I would say Iommi cause he is one of the founding fathers of metal. Who is more innovative than a founding father?

It would be a crime to not vote for him.

Eddie is hard to even think of as a "metal" player but he is an innovator and he would be my #2 choice.

Totally agree on the Iommi part but songs like Hang 'em high, Unchained and Light up the sky are definately not hard rock! :D

• Members
Originally posted by JohnRageOn

Totally agree on the Iommi part but songs like Hang 'em high, Unchained and Light up the sky are definately not hard rock!
:D

When I think of early 80s metal I think of bands like judas priest, iron maiden, ozzy, Dio, Raven,etc etc. Bands who really cranked up the gain. While they were crankin up the gain, Eddie was saying how he didnt like too much gain. That's why I can't think of him as metal but I know thats debateable because there is no clear definition of "what is metal?".

Archived