Looking for teh new Guitar

Vars

• Members

I currently only have one (listed in teh sig) and want to buy a new one tommorow. I am getting bored of the same guitar day after day. Any suggestions?

Inspirations enclude:

Jason Becker,
Tony Macalpine,
Vinne Moore,
and Yngwie, but I already have customized a guitar like his.

A Vinnie More or Tony Macalpine leadish sound would be nice (my rig is also listed in teh sig).

Willing to spend up to $1200.

:o :o :o

• Members

In that price range I would look at the Jackson Pro series SL-3, Ibanez Prestige model RG`s and LTD`s 1000 and 400 series M and MH series. Also the upper end Dean imports are pretty sweet. Carvin makes some sweet super Strats also.

I think the Jackson SL-3 would be great. You get a bridge position hummer, but with middle and neck position single coils. All are real Duncans too so no need for after market pups. Also the neck-through joint is fast and comfy. And the OFR bridge is a plus for trem users.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

In that price range I would look at the Jackson Pro series SL-3, Ibanez Prestige model RG`s and LTD`s 1000 and 400 series M and MH series. Also the upper end Dean imports are pretty sweet. Carvin makes some sweet super Strats also.

I think the Jackson SL-3 would be great. You get a bridge position hummer, but with middle and neck position single coils. All are real Duncans too so no need for after market pups. Also the neck-through joint is fast and comfy. And the OFR bridge is a plus for trem users.

Eric

+1

As far as Ibanez vs. Jackson vs. ESP, IMO it's all about personal opinion; they're all great guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by Vars

Thanks dudes. What do you guys think of EMG 81's and EMG 85's?

I like both of them, but it depends on the actual guitar they are going in. If the guitar is bright and thin you would want to go with the 85 which has more mids and a bigger bottom end. If your guitar is dark with lots of midrange you would want to go with the 81 for a tighter bottom end and crisper top end. Most of the time you will see the 81 in the bridge for more cutting lead tones and the 85 in the neck for warmer neck tones. I think the 85 works really well in the bridge of a Floyd equipped guitar. Floyds have a tendency to sound a little thinner so the 85 compensates for this.

Most people have a love or hate opinion of EMG`s. They have a distinct voice and very wide frequency responce. More hi-fi to some people. Not as warm. But that`s just a difference and doesn`t make the pups good or bad. You should try them before time if possible. You may prefer the more classic, tones of a good passive pup. I like both, but I`m a little more open minded about pickups than most players. I have all different pups in my guitars including passives from Duncan and Dimarzio and EMG`s. Depending on the guitar.

Eric

Archived