Help with stage piano

blunt

• Members

Hey, everyone,

I've been playing a Korg C-720 for three or four years now. I'm tired of it and I am looking for a portable piano. Not a Korg, this time. I understand mine is top of the line (before the SV, anyway), but I really don't like the sound or the keys.

So, I in Europe (Milan) and I'm looking for something used. I've tried some pianos and I liked the P95 and P155; the new Roland FP-7 is also very nice. I was disappointed with the Kurzweil PC3LE, however.

I've been looking for ads and I've found several Yamaha P80 and some Rolands (RD 300 SX, FP9, RD 600).

What's your opinion on the P80, and how does it compare to the newer models? Also, would an RD 300 SX be better than a 600? What are your thoughts on Roland vs Yamaha? The Yamahas sounded more clear to me.

I only care about acoustic pianos (I've got a real Rhodes and I don't like playing organ on weighted keys) and keybed, and I will be using a pair of Grado's.

Thanks very much for your help.
:)

I play a RD300sx. Its been a good board , and is great for a guy thats more interested in quick pre sets on traditional sounds. The SX is out of production ,,, and has been replaced by the GX. Personally I like the action of the SX better than the GX. Little lighter weighted action and it has plastic keys. Both boards maintain the quick and easy pre sets.

Its been a great board for the kind of music our band plays. Older classic rock, country , and beach stuff. We are not the kind of band that needs alot of what I call soundy stuff. I use rhodes, piano, organ, accordian, steel drums and thats about it. I think the 300 series roland stuff are great boards, and great for guys who just need to play keyboards. There are enough other sounds on there to get you by on most music without having to do alot of programming.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To be honest, after having tried a the RD-300GX and the FP7, I don't think the Roland sound is for me. I decided to go with a Yamaha. The P80 might be a little too old, I'm afraid I am going to be disappointed with the sound, so I'm considering the CP33 and trying to find the best deal on one here in Europe. The main problem is that I won't be able to try neither of the boards before I buy them. I've tried several Yamahas, but not these.

• Members

I really don't like the sound or feel of C-720 stage pianos.. The Roland FP7F is a lot nicer to play. The FP7F has a firmer (but a little lighter) key touch. The firmness more than makes up for the lightness... I am learning Piano from Piano Lesson, These are piano lessons, but not the boring piano lessons of the past. Instead, these are DVD and CD piano lessons so you can hear and see what each finger should do and what each chord looks like. You'll love these piano lessons! You'll view your old sheet music with new eyes and new ideas for exciting piano playing!

Ummm... "Got Troll"? :facepalm::rolleyes::lol:

• Members

To be honest, after having tried a the RD-300GX and the FP7, I don't think the Roland sound is for me. I decided to go with a Yamaha. The P80 might be a little too old, I'm afraid I am going to be disappointed with the sound, so I'm considering the CP33 and trying to find the best deal on one here in Europe. The main problem is that I won't be able to try neither of the boards before I buy them. I've tried several Yamahas, but not these.

Sound is tricky since typically you dont get to run them though a gig rig. I dont think headphones, or the little monitors you see at music stores really give you a good demo of what a board sounds like live. Yamaha makes good gear ,, in most of the pro level gear sounds good ,,, action is most of what you can get a feel for in the store.

• Members

I tried all the models with my headphones, which are entry level audiophiles (Alessandro MS-1i). As I will be playing 99% of the time trough them, it makes sense to use them for try outs. Anyway, I think this Yamaha vs Roland pianos is quite personal. IMO, Yamaha is best for pianos, but each to its own. :)

From what I've been reading, there are two flaws on the CP33: no music stand (??) and no sequencer. It would be fun to record a bass line and play over it, but I won't base my decision on that.

• Members

I tried all the models with my headphones, which are entry level audiophiles (Alessandro MS-1i). As I will be playing 99% of the time trough them, it makes sense to use them for try outs. Anyway, I think this Yamaha vs Roland pianos is quite personal. IMO, Yamaha is best for pianos, but each to its own.

From what I've been reading, there are two flaws on the CP33: no music stand (??) and no sequencer. It would be fun to record a bass line and play over it, but I won't base my decision on that.

Good idea on the headphones - if they are what you'll use the most, then definitely use 'em to audition the different model dig. pianos before buying.

As for your indicated "flaws" - a music stand (built-in to the digital piano) and a sequencer should prob'ly be LAST on your checklist of necessary features... :lol:

• Members

Those flaws are definitely last on the list. I mentioned them because the lack of music stand is incomprehensible and, like the lack of a sequencer, a step back from the P90, which the CP33 replaced. I understand they must put extra features on the CP300, but that was a nice one to have.

• Members

I would never recommend the P80 to anyone..

Me neither. Really - stay away from this one. You can easily hear the sample break points, notes don't have that characteristic Yamaha ringing sustain to them and decay artificially rapidly... all the artifacts of a budget piano from 10 years ago are in abundance on the P80.

I don't think you're missing anything by not auditioning the CP33. I remember A/Bing it and the P85 (which was less than 1/2 it's price) back to back a couple of years ago (the were on the same stand plugged into the same amplification system) and the main piano was exactly the same in both boards.

If I were to suggest anything it would be to audition the P95 and Casio PX3 before you buy a used digital piano. These are both terrific cheap little DPs that blow away most used stuff out there. Digital pianos keep improving so much each year that it's wise to buy new.

• Members

I've played the P95 and, although it sounds very good for the price, I don't think it compares to a more professional digital piano. I found the P90 better, not counting the ringing issue. I also played a Casio, I'm not sure if it was the PX130 or the 330 and, although the keys felt good, the piano sound is not impressive at all. Thank you for your help :)

• Members

Good idea on the headphones - if they are what you'll use the most, then definitely use 'em to audition the different model dig. pianos before buying.

As for your indicated "flaws" - a music stand (built-in to the digital piano) and a sequencer should prob'ly be LAST on your checklist of necessary features...
:lol:

If you want a music stand buy a real good one ,, anything you are going to find on the typical stage piano is gonna be a toy anyway.

• Members

Have you thought of using a
StudioLogic SL-990 XP
or
SL-990 Pro
, along with the module of your choice? They have a great action, and it's hard to beat $380 w/free shipping.

I don't think modules are a good choice if I only want piano sounds. Yamaha and Kurzweil had dedicated piano modules, I think, but they have been discontinued and there's no obvious advantage, because the keys in top of the line stage pianos are normally good. I favor the more simple 1 keyboard setup, and I'm in Europe, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'll probably get the CP33. About the stand, since I don't play classical music that often, a normal keyboard stand would suit me; I only put one or two sheets at a time, normally.

Thank you very much for the help, everyone. :)

• Members

I have to say I wasn't much impressed with the CP50, particularly with the main piano. And this new CP line is very confusing; the panel is not obvious and, on the CP1, I couldn't get any other sound besides the piano, which is very good. I'm a noob in what regards tweaking, though, but I find simplicity important for a piano directed for live playing.

• Members

I don't think modules are a good choice if I only want piano sounds. Yamaha and Kurzweil had dedicated piano modules, I think, but they have been discontinued and there's no obvious advantage, because the keys in top of the line stage pianos are normally good. I favor the more simple 1 keyboard setup, and I'm in Europe, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'll probably get the CP33. About the stand, since I don't play classical music that often, a normal keyboard stand would suit me; I only put one or two sheets at a time, normally.

Thank you very much for the help, everyone.

It just seems to me that if you are looking for a great action and a great piano sound, it's easier to get both by buying them individually. If you really like the action of the Studiologic, you can pair it with the piano sound you want, whether a module, or a software synth. But good luck!

• Members

Heavy action is good. And I believe the CPs are less confusing after getting used to it, but honestly, I would expect something more straightforward in a stage piano.

Thank you for the help. :)

• Members

Hi, everyone,

I finally went with the CP33 and I'm quite happy with it. I play mostly with the variation of the GP1, which is more mellow, and I really like it; it has some subtleties, like the key releasing sound. The GP2 voices are too bright for me. The Rhodes is not very good, the organs are OK. The Wooden Bass is very good, but I still have to practice playing walking lines to use it without a sequencer. The action is nice, although it could be a little heavier; maybe I just have to work on a more sensible touch.

Thank you very much for all your help and patience. :)

Archived