help with a non-working speaker

big Idiot

• Members

I'm kind of looking for a quick answer here, hopefully someone can help. I have a 2X15 cab, speakers wired in series I believe (8 ohm speakers, 4 ohm cab). So, the top speaker, which is wired directly to the input jack, isn't producing audible sound, if anything, while the bottom speaker, which is wired from the top speaker, is working. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? It's an old Fender VT Bassman 15 cab, i think maybe from 68 or 69, if that helps anything.

• Members
Originally posted by big Idiot

I'm kind of looking for a quick answer here, hopefully someone can help. I have a 2X15 cab, speakers wired in series I believe (8 ohm speakers, 4 ohm cab). So, the top speaker, which is wired directly to the input jack, isn't producing audible sound, if anything, while the bottom speaker, which is wired from the top speaker, is working. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong? It's an old Fender VT Bassman 15 cab, i think maybe from 68 or 69, if that helps anything.

That certainly isn't series. Its parallel. Did you take a battery to the speaker that isn't working to see if the VC is dead?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

That certainly isn't series. Its parallel. Did you take a battery to the speaker that isn't working to see if the VC is dead?

Yeah, I realized that shortly after I posted this.

What's this about using a battery? I've never heard of this before. How do I do it?

• Members
Originally posted by big Idiot

Yeah, I realized that shortly after I posted this.

What's this about using a battery? I've never heard of this before. How do I do it?

Take a small battery and hit the terminals to the speaker terminals and see if you hear a click and get any movement of the VC/cone. If not, the VC is fried or opened up. It is probably the most popular way to easily check to see if a speaker is alive.

Archived