What's the best and worst pickups you've ever had?

JonathanLA

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Best:
Any Anderson Pickup (H2+ is my fav)
Peavey Wolfgang
Ernie Ball Axis
Rio Grande BBQ
PRS Vintage Bass
DiMarzio PAF Pro

Worst:
Bill Lawrence 500XL
SD JB (used to be my favorite, but the newer ones don't sound like the old ones)
DiMarzio Tone Zone
Gibson 500T
EMG 81

• Members

Best:
Suhr Aldrich set
Suhr DSH
Seymour Duncan JB (depends on the guitar though)
Ibanez Super 70
DiMarzio HS-3/YJM set

Worst:
The pile of OEM Epiphone/Yamaha/Squier/Nova/etc pickups that I've pulled out of various cheapo "hot rod" projects over the years. There's a reason those pickups are cheap... they suck! As far as replacement pickups go, I'd say I'm not a fan of the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups found in most Prestiges.

W.

• Members

Great: Duncan '59 in the neck...
Gibson 496/500T. Sounds good enough in my guitar that I have no desire to swap them..
'80s Gibson Dirty Fingers
Gibson Classic 57's for clean sounds
Dimarzio Super Distortion (OK in the right guitar like most pickups)...
Duncan Alnico II Pro (killer rock guitar pickup!)

Awful or bad enough:
Bare Knuckle Nailbomb in my Gibson Faded V. Awful,shrill or harsh. Very dissapointed considering what it costed.
Stock Ibanez pickups. Never heard any of them sound good..
Stock Epiphone pickups. They suck and have this god awful muffled tone to them.
EMG HZ..teh suckage..
Yamaha SD120 pickups because I just can't get dig them. Great guitar though!!

Still want to try..
Rio Grandde BBQ
Rio Grande CrunchBox
Anything MotorCity
Duncan Distortion

• Members

Interesting to see some of the "classic" pickups like the JB getting such a love it or leave it reaction! Cool thread.

Best:
Dimarzio D Sonic 7
Dimarzio Drop Sonic (6)
Dimarzio Crunchlab
Dimarzio Liquifire
Dimarzio D Activator neck pickup used in the bridge position
Bareknuckle Aftermath

Worst:
Duncan Designed anything
Ibanez INF (infinity) pickups
Ibanez AH pickups

• Members

Worst: Stock whatever the {censored} in the ibanezes I had (they weren't dimarzio... they weren't even dimarzio influenced) and stock whatever the {censored} in the 8 string agile sceptor I had. Literally like slinging mud.

Best: EMG 81/60, Burstbucker pros, Duncan custom custom.

• Members

Worst: The EMG's that were standard in my '90 Jackson. Lifeless and soulless.
Best: Probably the DiMarzio SD that I bought in '78 and have installed in almost every guitar I've owned since. Tho the Duncan Jazz is really sweet in the neck position of a lot of instruments.

• Members

I have stock pups in both my LP Studio and my Strat. In the Strat I have the noiseless ones that came special with the 50th anniversary delux model, I have 5 strat settings and 5 humbucking style pups (works with a switch inside the volume knob).

Love both sets of pups, the LP has the same classic pups as the more expensive standard model.

• Members

Favs:

Screamin Demon - in an alder bodied guitar, and right amp setup, its tough to beat IMO
Duncan JB - again, in the right guitar, usually LP style guitars with mahogany bodies
Tone Zone/Wolfgang/Axis - just sounds right in those guitars. Freakin' love 'em.

Meh:

Most GFS pickups. I've had several, and while none screamed total junk except Power Rails, none blew me away with superior tone; just "hmm, that ain't too bad". Three of my guitars have either Crunchy PATS or EVH pups. Would like better ones, but they do the job.
Stock PRS SE pups. Kind of surprised by these. I would say the pickups are on par with the guitars themselves.

Nev again:

EMGs. Just not a fan, really. I guess its hard to really like those in non high-gain applications.

Archived