Kurzweil PC3 good for electronic music?

tangerine

• Members

For more on the synth architecture in the PC3, be sure to check out the tutorial videos on our website.

http://www.kurzweil.com/OperationalSupport.php

Just click on the VIDEOS tab in the middle of the page.

I know I've been saying it for a while, but we do have a set of techno/synth sounds soon to be released.

I'll post here when they go up on our site.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For more on the synth architecture in the PC3, be sure to check out the tutorial videos on our website.

http://www.kurzweil.com/OperationalSupport.php

Just click on the VIDEOS tab in the middle of the page.

I know I've been saying it for a while, but we do have a set of techno/synth sounds soon to be released.

I'll post here when they go up on our site.

Good news :love:.

Anyway, I would not worry about the envelopes, they are pretty flexible, if you use funs you can also use parable like shapes, and all kinds of other crazy shapes.... Same applies to LFOs.

The only bad thing is that the envl 2 and 3 do not have real time control pages(and unlike K2600, the control page is not global for all envelopes). So you can not have patch where in the last layer there is filter and it is controllable (or rather have filter that has separated control from the amp). Of course by having one more layer takes care of this, as you can link the filters to amp envelope that does not control the amp.

• Members

How is the quality on Kurzweil? I have read some horror stories about 3 PC3X in a row that was broken out of the box and some other stories.

Well, there is a guarantee that lasts longer than couple korg X50's :cop:

I haven't had any problems other than software bugs. I managed to cram up this one patch that tilts the machine when played :lol:. Patch of doom I say.

The bugs are pretty much gone by now though. Even the mono mode was "fixed" (BTW unlike korg or roland it actually uses release velocity as the velocity source for retriggered keys now... this can be useful).

• Members

I have to test it once more before I make up my mind, but it looks bright for the Kurzweil PC3 76!!!

Those Kurzweil tutorial videos is great! some really wonderful sounds he creates there!

I wonder why so few use Kurzweil is it the hidden jewel?

• Members

I have only heard it on Youtube clips and on Kurzweils home page and it sounds ok, but I dont think they program the best synth sounds?

:

The PC3 was voiced as it was developed, so its potential is still beyond what you hear in the presets.

When the truly dedicated FM dsp is activated, the PC3 will take another leap forward. Actually, Kurzweil will take a leap forward as a whole new sonic palette will again be available.

I purchased the PC3 primarily for "electronic music".

• Members

Cowzar! are you sure they are going to release FM dsp? that would be really interesting if they do!

Well, its in the PC3 at the moment - but not activated.

If you want to look for it yourself in the OS binary.. get your geek cap on and fire up your hex editor and search for "FM MOD".

• Members

Would a newcomer to keys, (long time guitar guy) be totally overwhelmed with this machine? (I have a Kawai weighted key stage piano and a Hammond M3). Here's a question, is there a basic text like synths for dummies around? Most of the jargon here zooms overhead. I've made a lot of mistakes buying instruments through the years and I don't want to make another one, but this whole topic interests me. Evildragon your orchestral demo was stunning. I've lately discovered Deron Johnson.

• Members

Would a newcomer to keys, (long time guitar guy) be totally overwhelmed with this machine?

If you plan on doing any extensive sound programming, there is a serious learning curve and a small display screen to work with. I suggest a visit to any pro music store and check out the Kurzweil (and other workstations).

• Members

Well, you can do FM even without it, but it's less intuitive. I'm thinking they'll include it sooner or later.

I would love to hear more about Kurzweil FM possibilities. What can be done with FM on a Kurzweil at the moment? Does it sound similar to Yamaha FM synthesis?

Archived