Kurzweil PC3 good for electronic music?

tangerine

• Members

If you plan on doing any extensive sound programming, there is a serious learning curve and a small display screen to work with. I suggest a visit to any pro music store and check out the Kurzweil (and other workstations).

I just watched the first four or five tutorials from the Kurzweil website and I can say I'm not too stupid to understand what the drift is. It's clear that the demonstrator is talking to experienced synth users so he covers just the very basics while talking faster than a vegamatic sales man. Still, it's not rocket science and it's clear a guy could have a blast just using the preprogrammed sounds.

I wonder, maybe this isn't the right thread for this question but; if a guy got a 61 key PS361 can he program the first octave for (say) C2 thru B and then the rest of the keys for the upper registers? The Hammond XK series does this, allowing that left hand to set a boogie line. Thinking out loud of course one could just lay that down in a separate track for recording and for live performance there would be a bass player standing there......with a quizzical look on his face of course.

Dan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So the difference between the PC3X and the PC3K8 is the ability to run K series plugins? Is that $1250 important?

The main difference between the PC3 and PC3K is the PC3K has 128MB of Flash ROM that you can use to load samples.

Both can load K-series Programs, however you can't load custom samples into the PC3 so third-party soundware that relied on custom samples won't load correctly.

• Members

So the difference between the PC3X and the PC3K8 is the ability to run K series plugins? Is that $1250 important?

The PC3K has user sample memory and the ability to load K series, .WAV and .AIFF samples.

The price difference appears inflated at the moment because the PC3x is still being sold at a lowered price (in most areas anyway).

Normally the difference should be more like $600 if I'm not mistaken.

• Members

I just watched the first four or five tutorials from the Kurzweil website and I can say I'm not too stupid to understand what the drift is. It's clear that the demonstrator is talking to experienced synth users so he covers just the very basics while talking faster than a vegamatic sales man. Still, it's not rocket science and it's clear a guy could have a blast just using the preprogrammed sounds.

I wonder, maybe this isn't the right thread for this question but; if a guy got a 61 key PS361 can he program the first octave for (say) C2 thru B and then the rest of the keys for the upper registers? The Hammond XK series does this, allowing that left hand to set a boogie line. Thinking out loud of course one could just lay that down in a separate track for recording and for live performance there would be a bass player standing there......with a quizzical look on his face of course.

Dan

Yes you can split the keyboard up into 16 zones, and they can all be transposed independently.

Archived