Anyone played a Bogner Metropolis combo???

Meatbeard

• Members

It'll do some of that, but doesn't sound as distincly AC30 as something like a Valvtech Hayseed will.

Both the Metropolis and some Dr. Z's as well as a few other amps in that vein (Top Hats, Bad Cats, Matchless) kind of start with the AC30 tone and take it somewhere unique to each of them.

• Members

Recently AB/D the metropolis with a several Z's. The Z's were so much better it wasnt even fair. The metropolis TO ME is a $800 (tone wise) amp in a $2200 bogner package. I'm sure the build quality is great, but the tone is blahh.... and that schizo switch has at best 2 maybe 3 useful settings. Overall I was NOT impressed.... and I really wanted to be... because based on the description I was excited and I was there to actually buy it.... left sad, actually bought a TWIN instead, might go back and buy a Z-28 or Maz18JR eventually as well:(

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Recently AB/D the metropolis with a several Z's. The Z's were so much better it wasnt even fair. The metropolis TO ME is a $800 (tone wise) amp in a $2200 bogner package. I'm sure the build quality is great, but the tone is blahh.... and that schizo switch has at best 2 maybe 3 useful settings. Overall I was NOT impressed.... and I really wanted to be... because based on the description I was excited and I was there to actually buy it.... left sad, actually bought a TWIN instead, might go back and buy a Z-28 or Maz18JR eventually as well:(

You bought a Fender Twin reverb?? Like a reissue one?? I played one of those at Guitar Center yesterday and it sounded fantastic! Of course, Ive always been a tad apprehensive about having an amp with no onboard overdrive and having to drive it with pedals. I dont know enough about good pedals.

• Members

Originally posted by Meatbeard

You bought a Fender Twin reverb?? Like a reissue one?? I played one of those at Guitar Center yesterday and it sounded fantastic! Of course, Ive always been a tad apprehensive about having an amp with no onboard overdrive and having to drive it with pedals. I dont know enough about good pedals.

Yep, I got the Twin Reverb RI. It sounds great. The clean is so full and responsive that it feels like I am playing with a clean boost the whole time. I havent played around with pedals in years, but I'm trying to learn more and see how that goes. I've also got a Mesa F-30 head which I run as a halfstack. That actually gives me a great chimey clean. Give one of those a try if you havent. It also has a lot of gain on tap should you need it. Try an Orange AD30TC combo or head if you want to have a decent clean and good gain all in the same package.

If youre still set on Bogner, I'd have a look at the Shiva instead. I personally prefer that to the Metropolis.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Yep, I got the Twin Reverb RI. It sounds great. The clean is so full and responsive that it feels like I am playing with a clean boost the whole time. I havent played around with pedals in years, but I'm trying to learn more and see how that goes. I've also got a Mesa F-30 head which I run as a halfstack. That actually gives me a great chimey clean. Give one of those a try if you havent. It also has a lot of gain on tap should you need it. Try an Orange AD30TC combo or head if you want to have a decent clean and good gain all in the same package.

If youre still set on Bogner, I'd have a look at the Shiva instead. I personally prefer that to the Metropolis.

Im definately not set on Bogner. I have only seen videos of the Metropolis and it sounded great. I have never played a Shiva. But, I did play that Twin yesterday. It sounded awesome. How are the stock speakers?????

I definately need overdrive though. Im looking for something very clear and articulate.

• Members

Originally posted by Meatbeard

Im definately not set on Bogner. I have only seen videos of the Metropolis and it sounded great. I have never played a Shiva. But, I did play that Twin yesterday. It sounded awesome. How are the stock speakers?????

I definately need overdrive though. Im looking for something very clear and articulate.

I know a lot of people complained about the stock speakers on the twin being a little harsh, but mine are broken in and all my guitars are dark sounding so it sounds wonderful for me.

I'd also look into the Mesa lonestar and lonestar special.

Archived