In the market

Slim Jim

• Members

Insurance came through.

Starting to look for a new amp head.

The most I'll spend is for a used Bogner Ecstasy.

I'm currently looking at five different amps.

1) Bogner Ecstasy

2) VHT CLX

3) Splawn ProMod

4) Framus Dragon

5) Marshall JVM

I know I would have to wait for the Marshall.

The only one I've played is the Bogner.

The tones I'm looking for is from Thursday to Thrice to Every Time I Die.

Cleans are important, so if the amp doesn't have good cleans, I'd like to know that.

The bands have used Bogner Ecstasys, Mesa Rectofiers, Marshall JCM800's, VHT's (not sure which), and Vox AC30.

I'm leaning towards the Bogner again.

I'm just curious on different opinions on these amps that I don't really have a chance to try out.

• Members

Yeah, you have alot of options here.

I'm into those bands, and I got a pretty good tone with my Framus Dragon when I had it. The actual tone however didn't really seem "open" enough to me. Very dry and blanketed. I also used to own a DSL 50 which had a great tone as well, but it was semi limited. The two overdrive modes sounded like {censored}ty and {censored}tier... heh. Only the green channel on that one did anything for me.

If you can find a used Ecstacy, I'd pick that up. Also check out the Mesa Roadster too, with a quad of EL-34s in there it could cop a great Marshall/Recto vibe you might like.

• Members

i play the same music. i use a old jcm800. put a mxr 10band eq in front of your jcm800, and you get a highgain tube distortion that is bright(hard to describe). i think this is good for sounds like "he is legend", "thrice", "every time i die". i got bright pickups so that my sound isnt muddy. turned my bass up on the 10 band eq to give it the chug on palm mutes. if you like that kind of music i think you would be happy wih this setup.

• Members

Originally posted by sg love

Dimebag,

Thanks for that.

It kinda made me rule out the Promod since it's not that modern sounding.

Was that your intent?

It is modern sounding....but it's more of a modern marshall type tone...great for Zakk Wylde etc...not REALLY great for the new modern metal that's coming out today. Also, if cleans are what you need you wouldn't want my Promod anyhow.

• Members

Originally posted by sg love

That's the problem

Typically half of the song is clean and the other half distored.

So I need cleans.

Dimebag,

Thanks for that.

It kinda made me rule out the Promod since it's not that modern sounding.

Was that your intent?

LOL..I think he was tryin' to get you to buy it since you said that was one of the top ones you were looking at....

• Members

Would you consider a Trace Elliot Speed Twin 50 watter? I'm thinking of selling mine. I do not know the bands you mention, so I can't comment on that, but the ST is very "British" in character. It has decent cleans -- the kind I like, anyway: not sparkly, but capable of some breakup.. very dynamic; great classic rock crunch od channel that cleans up pretty well from the guitar's volume; and built in boost on the od channel (adds another gain stage) which gets a great (imo) high gain sound. Not "nu-metal" by any means, but lovely for heavy rock, punk, old style metal, & very liquid leads. Decent built in reverb. Two master volumes, footswitchable. Pull bright on the clean treble; pull treble-shift on the od channel. Fx loop. Output damping knob. Switchable between pentode & triode output (EL34s). 4, 8, & 16 ohm outputs. Sounds great through V30s, but EXCELLENT through Greenbacks.

I also have a custom 5 button footcontroller which Jerry P made for me, with: 1. channel switch, 2. od boost, 3. master vol. a/b, 4. fx loop in/out, & 5. reverb in/out. A must for live use. :thu:

Pm if interested. :)

Chris

• Members

Originally posted by warplanegrey

here are the amps i'd check out to get the tone that you described:

bogner 101a

mesa dual rec

framus cobra

soldano slo100

vht ul

mesa mark IV

scott.

I thank you sir.

I'm told the Framus Cobra is more compressed than the Ecstasy.

This true?

• Members

IMO I think the Marshall, Bogner, Splawn, and VHT could all get close to the type of tone you want.

from their its all personal preference. You really need to play the amps yourself.

However here is how I would break it down.

If you're playing really fast, technical, stop and start style riffs, you probably want some serious tightness to your tone. Thats where VHT excells IMO.

The Splawn will do the hotrodded Marshall thing (from Van Halen to all the 80's hot rodded tones).

Bogner will be similar but with the added versatility of a de ent clean channel. Also, the Bogner has a sag that some people dig, and some people dont.

Marshall - I havent played the JVM but its a Marshall. Cant really go wrong IMO.

One of the best hardcore live tones Ive heard was one of the guitarists from Poison The Well using an American Standard Tele into a JCM 2000 TSL. Crushing.

• Members

Originally posted by telephant

IMO I think the Marshall, Bogner, Splawn, and VHT could all get close to the type of tone you want.

from their its all personal preference. You really need to play the amps yourself.

However here is how I would break it down.

If you're playing really fast, technical, stop and start style riffs, you probably want some serious tightness to your tone. Thats where VHT excells IMO.

The Splawn will do the hotrodded Marshall thing (from Van Halen to all the 80's hot rodded tones).

Bogner will be similar but with the added versatility of a de ent clean channel. Also, the Bogner has a sag that some people dig, and some people dont.

Marshall - I havent played the JVM but its a Marshall. Cant really go wrong IMO.

One of the best hardcore live tones Ive heard was one of the guitarists from Poison The Well using an American Standard Tele into a JCM 2000 TSL. Crushing.

Thanks alot.

Really.

Thank you.

Is the VHT a better clean than the Bogner?

How would an Engl SE factor into all of this?

Archived