Handwrist Pain - which keybed type??

joemmi

• Members

Hi,

recently I have been recognising more and mor some kind of a pain in the right hand when playing longer than half an hour and have been reading about Tenosynovitis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. While when I stop it fades away, I am a bit worried about the long term and wanted to know what keybed is the best in order to not worsen too much your hand-health?

I could not find any scientific evidence on that other than weighted keys are better because you don't need to keep the fingers up in order too not hit a note unwillingly.

Personally, I find no difference for the pain level wheter playing Synth, semi-weighted, or weighted action (or a real Piano). But I would like to know whether one or the other is preferrably from a medical point of view?

On a side note, I read one is supposed to warm fingers up before playing, any hints for some exercises before going to the keys, running Hanon?

Johannes

• Members

Hi,

recently I have been recognising more and mor some kind of a pain in the right hand when playing longer than half an hour and have been reading about Tenosynovitis and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. While when I stop it fades away, I am a bit worried about the long term and wanted to know what keybed is the best in order to not worsen too much your hand-health?

I could not find any scientific evidence on that other than weighted keys are better because you don't need to keep the fingers up in order too not hit a note unwillingly.

Personally, I find no difference for the pain level wheter playing Synth, semi-weighted, or weighted action (or a real Piano). But I would like to know whether one or the other is preferrably from a medical point of view?

On a side note, I read one is supposed to warm fingers up before playing, any hints for some exercises before going to the keys, running Hanon?

Johannes

the thing i would do is to take a real good look at your rig. ergonomics are typically at the root of these kinds of problems. Your forarm should be level with your board. ,, so where your board is means alot. If you sit to play , the bench also has to be set up right. Also you wanna make sure you are not all choked up close to the board. If everything isnt right its gonna cause you pain. Another issue is the PC. computers are hard as hell on wrists , hands and fingers and so is the mouse. I play 4 and 5 nights a week and sometimes two gigs in one day. When I end up hurting , typically I can always trace it back to ergonomics of my rig or the computer.

• Members

ergonomics are typically at the root of these kinds of problems.

Listen to TIMKEYS. A couple of years ago I had severe neck and shoulder pain, along with wrist pain that appeared to be carpal tunnel syndrome. The pains only went away after I visited a physical therapist and was given instructions on posture, stretching and exercises. I had previously tried to solve the problem by getting a new computer mouse, by changing sleeping position, and by lots of stretching. All of my amateur efforts made about a 1% improvement. The physical therapist showed me how to fix the other 99% of the problem. Visit a professional physical therapist so you can find out what you need to do differently.

• Members

Dump the mouse ASAP and get one of these:

568709-kensington-roller-ball-mouse-l.jp
Whenever I end up at a studio with a mouse (and I've forgotten to bring my rollerball), it takes no longer than 30 minutes before the wrist starts hurting. With a rollerball, I can work all day.

While I agree, I believe the best option is to switch from trackball to mouse to touchpad (laptop). I used the Logitech and Kensington trackballs for a few years straight, and that brings it's own set of problems, mainly in the palm and the ring finger and pinky.

You don't want to only use part of your hand for a long period of time.

I agree with everything TIMKEYS posted, and would add that a lot of these problems are neurological and can be traced to the elbows and the shoulder. Consider seeing a neurologist, and also a chiropractor. Good luck!

• Members

While I agree, I believe the best option is to switch from trackball to mouse to touchpad (laptop). I used the Logitech and Kensington trackballs for a few years straight, and that brings it's own set of problems, mainly in the palm and the ring finger and pinky.

You don't want to only use part of your hand for a long period of time.

I agree with everything TIMKEYS posted, and would add that a lot of these problems are neurological and can be traced to the elbows and the shoulder. Consider seeing a neurologist, and also a chiropractor. Good luck!

to be honest ,,, most of my issues after I got my rig set up right ,, are all pretty well computer induced. I play 4 or 5 3+ hours gigs a week and sometimes more and I am a creeky old guy.

• Members

Dump the mouse ASAP and get one of these:

568709-kensington-roller-ball-mouse-l.jp
Whenever I end up at a studio with a mouse (and I've forgotten to bring my rollerball), it takes no longer than 30 minutes before the wrist starts hurting. With a rollerball, I can work all day.

Not to question your situation, for myself, after using poor posture over a long period of time, leaning onto my wedge shaped 'Logitech' track ball mouse, was beginning to give me CPS. It was only after dumping that mouse for a conventional one, did my swelling and extreme pain begin to deminish. I'm all but healed today.

Having the correct bench or chair height playing keyboards, helps me keep my wrists and fingers on the same level,

which reduces stress in my wrists while playing. It's difficult playing while standing, without my keyboards being raised up.

Chas

• Members

Thanks everyone. True computers are bad, never thought of a trackball, but mice kill, but for me so does the touchpad, so I am surprised it is considered as better for your hand??

Will look int the posture, that might well be one point, just looked at the hand/finger but not ellboy and back.

And finally, regarding the rig, in particular which type of keys, so maybe is does not matter at all?

Archived