Class A tubes more expensive than Class A/B?

Vanny

• Members

Originally posted by Vanny

Is it?

And what's the pros and cons for each?

They both use the same tubes, it is the amp circuit design that determines class A class A/B.

Class A/B is more efficient and can generate more wattage output with the same tubes. Example, two EL34 power tubes in Class A would be about 28 watts, in class A/B it would be between 45 and 50 watts.

Class A generally sound a little warmer but tube life is reduced. Class A tubes burn all the time while A/B only when there is an audio signal passing through.

• Members

Originally posted by Plague dog

They both use the same tubes, it is the amp circuit design that determines class A class A/B.

Class A/B is more efficient and can generate more wattage output with the same tubes. Example, two EL34 power tubes in Class A would be about 28 watts, in class A/B it would be between 45 and 50 watts.

Class A generally sound a little warmer but tube life is reduced. Class A tubes burn all the time while A/B only when there is an audio signal passing through.

Oh okay.

So tube amps like THD Bivalve and Orange Rocker won't have sucha long tube life compared to a Mesa F-series?

Are all Mesa amps class A/B?

And how much more is the tube life reduced if it's class A?

• Members

These things I don't know, there are some knowledgable gear heads on this site that can probably answer those questions.

I have one class A amp, crate VC30. I don't play it that often, but I'm sure if I did replace the tubes I would get a hell of a lot better sound out of it.

You are correct in that Mesa doesn't build a class A amp, unless it's something new they've come out with.

Pre matchless I believe the only two class A amps in production were the Vox AC30 and the Fender Champ.

As far as reduced tube life I would think it would be in the 40-50% range.

I had a Bedrock when they first came out and I toasted the tubes in that within about 6 months of sporadic playing.

Edit for additional questions...

Yes... Top of the line 30 watt class A's like Matchless and Tophat are very expensive.

Older Crate VC30's sound amazing and are inexpensive, but they don't hold a candle to more expensive well built amps and are extremely unreliable.

• Members

Originally posted by Vanny

Ooh, I'm was looking at the THD Bivalve.

Does this thing use only ONE power tube and TWO preamp tubes?

come on dude, this stuff isn't THAT hard to research on your own

http://thdelectronics.com/products/bivalve.htm

Like the UniValve, the BiValve is a single-ended pure Class A design. However, it has two output valves which are wired in parallel and combined through a special output transformer to deliver up to around 30 watts.

Archived