Mastodon on Conan

bob the dentist

• Members

Originally posted by bob the dentist

so lemme get this straight, you rip on them for tuning to A, yet you dislike the video that they're in D, and like the one where they're in (DROP) A?

No, I have no problem with A tuning, but what kind of idiot would do it on a scale that short??? I think their singer is pathetic, in the sense that all his shouting outbursts sound exactly the same, and their songs all have this annoying formula to them where they chug on an open string and then IMMEDIATELY go up the neck and hit a couple notes on the 24th fret or something. people hail them as metal gods all the time, I can't see any of it.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by BillyCorgan

I'm just not liking the song structure and vocals.

The vocals are a common complaint when it comes to Mastodon. I understand that one. I think they've come along way, vocally. I used to have the same issue. After awhile I got over it though. I can't deny how badass the music is.

How bout Chrisjd? Any reason why you think they suck?

• Members

Originally posted by Chrisjd

No, I have no problem with A tuning, but what kind of idiot would do it on a scale that short??? I think their singer is pathetic, in the sense that all his shouting outbursts sound exactly the same, and their songs all have this annoying formula to them where they chug on an open string and then IMMEDIATELY go up the neck and hit a couple notes on the 24th fret or something. people hail them as metal gods all the time, I can't see any of it.

Well, you like Engl's...your taste is already suspect.

• Members

Originally posted by bob the dentist

Do you like any of the new Mastodon at all, though? You're sending mixed signals in this topic haha.

Some of the new songs are cool, but overall, Remission and Lifesblood are WAY better IMO. Just listen to the drumming in March Of The Fire Ants, and then listen to that new song...it's just boring now. I also prefer their old vocal style, it suited them better.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Some of the new songs are cool, but overall, Remission and Lifesblood are WAY better IMO. Just listen to the drumming in March Of The Fire Ants, and then listen to that new song...it's just boring now. I also prefer their old vocal style, it suited them better.

I dunno man, it depends on my mood. The old stuff is awesome though.

• Members

Originally posted by ravelm3nt

Well, you like Engl's...your taste is already suspect.

What a {censored}ing stupid comment.

Anyway, like I said before, I couldn't get into them for so long, but I like them better now. I don't love the vocals either, but that's the same with Lamb of God for me. I love LoG's music, but I {censored}ing HATE the vocals with a passion.

• Members

Pretty good for a metal band in 2006, plus they were on a popular TV show (what do u want another {censored}ty pop/rap act?) and the performance was solid! Nothing exciting/groundbreaking but not bad either..

The lil bit i heard i kinda dug, whats some of their other stuff that i should listen to? can anyone elighten me? :confused:

• Members

I'm with the Mastadon haters.

That has to be one of the best examples of a band in dire need of a lead vocalist.

It sounded to me like a second rate track that never made the Neurosis "Souls at Zero" album. If you liked that Mastadon, do yourself a favor and check out Neurosis.

It is cool that Conan has heavier than the norm bands on though.
:thu: Conan.

• Members

I'm trying to like them. Our band founder gave me their disk.

I think the vocals suck comtplete ass.

I understand it's TV, and uploaded and PC speakers and all that but what the {censored} is this soung about?

Or...I am not supposed to care what it is about huh?

There's a couple riffs that are kinda cool. ANMd the drummer seems cool.

But god did I say the vocals suck ass? No>?

Vocals suck ass.

Archived