Why is there such a huge backlash over the supersaw?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ya Mahler's 8th is great; also Der KinderTotenLieder ("songs about dead kids") is beautiful. I prefer the 2nd and 4th symphonies myself, though. Mahler's 5th is also great; the 1st, too. Really, only the 6th, 7th and 10th are difficult to listen to.

• Members
You forgot to mention that tune has almost 7 MILLION! views. AND over 20K LIKES. There are also some justin beiber comments...

Damn... we all know what is our future now
:facepalm:

Rebecca Black's "Friday" is up to 43 million views. :facepalm: See, this is a lesson for those wanting to be famous: now, you have to be flashy in an immature way, or at least an awful way so that you can attract the snarkers.

I mean, Cee Lo Green is a talented singer (honestly), but "{censored} You" is the song that got him 50 million hits. That's 50 times as much as any of his solo work or Goodie Mob work, and even almost three times as much as the one top Gnarls Barkley hit. To get hits, you must speak the language of the common people, ho ho.

I will say that it's comforting that a Moonlight Sonata video also gets 30 million views, though.

• Members
Rebecca Black's "Friday" is up to 43 million views.
:facepalm:
See, this is a lesson for those wanting to be famous: now, you have to be flashy in an immature way, or at least an awful way so that you can attract the snarkers.

I wonder how many of those views are like mine - someone who first saw a parody (Death Metal Friday for me), then watched the original for comparison.

So...the supersaw is NOT just a bunch of detuned saws? I always thought it was.

• Members

Hate trance, but love the Super Saw sound. I suppose it has more to do with it sounding similar to a chorus effect on a saw from the Juno 6.

Actually a strings-type pad using the supersaw + the built-in chorus in the SH-201 is quite delicious, I think. Very unique-sounding and really sits well in a mix.

And I've said it before, the supersaw is an excellent wave to use when you build bell-like sounds. Supersaw + ring mod + high pitches = deliciously digital

• Members

Actually a strings-type pad using the supersaw + the built-in chorus in the SH-201 is quite delicious, I think. Very unique-sounding and really sits well in a mix.

And I've said it before, the supersaw is an excellent wave to use when you build bell-like sounds. Supersaw + ring mod + high pitches = deliciously digital

Yeah, I got the SH-201 for quadruple super saw goodness. So many people seem to bash the synth as being "thin sounding", but with the right tweaks it can practically pop ear drums.

• Members

JP-8000 owners manual specifically states that its SuperSaw is 7 detuned sawtooth waves. You cab adjust the total spread of detuning and the volume of the 6 detuned waves (mixed) as compared to the one central wave. I guess that means JP-8080 is the same but I didn't check it's manual. The SH-201 and SH-01 say their waveform is the sound of 7 sawtooth waves heard simultaneously.

• Members

JP-8000 owners manual specifically states that its SuperSaw is 7 detuned sawtooth waves. You cab adjust the total spread of detuning and the volume of the 6 detuned waves (mixed) as compared to the one central wave. I guess that means JP-8080 is the same but I didn't check it's manual. The SH-201 and SH-01 say their waveform is the sound of 7 sawtooth waves heard simultaneously.

Not sure about the GAIA, but the SH-201 has a knob that spreads out the pitch of the waves (it's the same knob used to control pulse width), but you can't manually adjust each wave specifically. When turned to 0, it sounds like a single saw wave, so the work around is setting up a layered patch with supersaw on all four oscillators and adjusting from there. The Korg Radius and R3 actually have a feature called "unison spread" which comes close to sounding like a supersaw, but it eats up polyphony.

• Members

I've done detuned saws of all sorts, with many waves/voices, unison etc. on many synths: NONE of them sound like Roland's supersaw. It's a distinctive sound.

I have heard that the JP8000 SS has resonant HP on it...

Other than that it should sound like 7 saws, that are not anti aliased...

Then again, what do I know.

• Members
I've done detuned saws of all sorts, with many waves/voices, unison etc. on many synths: NONE of them sound like Roland's supersaw. It's a distinctive sound.

Yeah. It's one unfortunately that I don't like. If I had to do a "supersaw" sound, I would reach for the the "unison detuned" multi-saw sound you can get on the Alesis Andromeda (or for that matter, a Roland MKS-80). Which isn't quite JP-8000, but sounds more pleasing to my ears. :idk: In the digital realm I kind of prefer wavetable type sounds (like the Waldorf Q).

Still, different folks for different folks, etc., and a lot of people really like the supersaw.

• Members

...and what's the deal with "Super Saws"??

They can't saw anything... so there's nothing SUPER about it!

jerry_seinfeld1.jpg

Supersaw never impressed me. Detuned unison buried in reverb? wow? no

just one of many tools... not ME, the supersaw

Archived