EQ'ing your amp to use w/pedal?

RedDeathAt6:14

• Members

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has ever had to zero out their amps EQ in order for a distortion pedal to sound good? I have tried putting everything at noon, but it just seems to sound way better if I put everything on zero. I am using the clean channel btw. Amp is a Marshall VS265, pedal is Line 6 Uber Metal.

I guess I'm just wondering if some amps are just like this?

• Members
Originally posted by RedDeathAt6:14

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has ever had to zero out their amps EQ in order for a distortion pedal to sound good? I have tried putting everything at noon, but it just seems to sound way better if I put everything on zero. I am using the clean channel btw. Amp is a Marshall VS265, pedal is Line 6 Uber Metal.

Do what sounds good. Does the amp have active tone controls?

• Members

They made a pedal called "uber metal"? :(

It all depends on your amp/pedal, and your ears. What sounds good to you is what matters. That could be the way it sounds best.

• Members

Originally posted by SiCkboy78

They made a pedal called "uber metal"?
:(

It all depends on your amp/pedal, and your ears. What sounds good to you is what matters. That could be the way it sounds best.

Thanks alot for the replies. I'm kinda wondering if some amps are simply made like this? Do they make it to where the eq is perfectly "flat" when all knobs are at zero?

Also, how do I know if it has active controls? Clean channel is mids bass and treb.

• Members

Thanks alot for the replies. I'm kinda wondering if some amps are simply made like this? Do they make it to where the eq is perfectly "flat" when all knobs are at zero?

Also, how do I know if it has active controls? Clean channel is mids bass and treb.

It means they are powered instead of being passive. Big difference. Maybe the difference is that you have too much gain dialed in for running a pedal too and backing off on all the tone controls is decreasing that gain.

• Members

No. Amps are not made for pedals.

The Line 6 manual actually says that on most amps bass & treble at 0 and mids on 10 is "neutral." If it is the contour control, then 0 means 10, as in the old Valvestates [so that diming them all would give you a scooped mids br utal tone :D].

• Members

I would just like to know what your pedal settings are. Normaly, I set up my amp first. EQ it so it sounds good clean, then hit the distortion and adjust EQ, level, gain. That way you can switch back and forth, and both clean and distorted complement eachother. If you never use a clean sound it won't matter, but my guess is that if you do, it doesn't sound all that good EQ'ed like you have it.

• Members

I would just like to know what your pedal settings are. Normaly, I set up my amp first. EQ it so it sounds good clean, then hit the distortion and adjust EQ, level, gain. That way you can switch back and forth, and both clean and distorted complement eachother. If you never use a clean sound it won't matter, but my guess is that if you do, it doesn't sound all that good EQ'ed like you have it.

Thats the same thing I do.

• Members

Pedal settings don't really matter because I have tried probably 2 dozen different settings. It's not like I just plugged the pedal in and tried it without tweaking. Also this isn't just this pedal, it's any pedal. I have quite a few that I have tried..... I'm just wondering if some amps EQ's are flat when all knobs are set to zero.

When I set all knobs at noon on clean channel, and plug a distortion pedal in, it sounds VERY ice picky sounding, like there is WAY WAY too much treble. Now if I take this same pedal and plug it into different amp, (a vox) with all knobs set at noon, it sounds normal. The only way to get the pedal to sound normal on the other amp is to put all knobs on zero... That's why I was just asking if some amps are made to have their EQ's flat when all knobs are set to zero.

• Members

i have one of these pedals..to me its a noize maker..and i have no idea on how they set up the line 6 stuff to use it. I dont use it in the loop..what i would do is set up my amp the way i want it to sound.(what ever you like) and then add the pedal..and use the pedal to add more to the sound..

not make the amp flat and run the pedal..if you do that you wasting you amp to use the pedal as your tone..not a good idea...make you amp sound hot..and then add the pedal to it..

• Members

in my experience running "distortion" pedals sounds like ass on distortion chanels.

you run those on clean chanels and get the distortion from the pedal.

you'd run an overdrive or other pedal on a distortion chanel...like delay/chorus/flanger/EQ/whatever-- you dig?

• Members

Originally posted by 9ball

in my experience running "distortion" pedals sounds like ass on distortion chanels.

you run those on clean chanels and get the distortion from the pedal.

you'd run an overdrive or other pedal on a distortion chanel...like delay/chorus/flanger/EQ/whatever-- you dig?

more then likely your trying to run the pedal to hot..you dont have to run it into the red to make it work.i use them to change the tightness and the eq a bit..but the clean or crunchy channels work with them as well..

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Owens

more then likely your trying to run the pedal to hot..you dont have to run it into the red to make it work.i use them to change the tightness and the eq a bit..but the clean or crunchy channels work with them as well..

i don't have any distortion pedals anyways.:wave:

Archived