How many guys use similar gear in your small setups

Zachman

• Members

Originally posted by ghastlyone

I agree with you. But what about the benefits of multiple drivers, speaker coupling ect?.... it sounds "fuller" because spacially the frequencies are more efficiently delivered, regardless of any more power? Then it's reinforcing more of the frequencys, therefore making such frequencies percievably louder, regardless what a total output of a db meter says?

Perception is the key to this point. Percieved loudeness is not = to actual volume. The other issues you bring up are related to the efficiency with whcih a speaker reproduces what frequencies the amp is putting out and from which point in space.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Zachman

Perception is the key to this point. Percieved loudeness is not = to actual volume. The other issues you bring up are related to the efficiency with whcih a speaker reproduces what frequencies the amp is putting out and from which point in space.

How can an 8x10 shake my house much more than a 2x10 without any increase of output? That wouldn't fall in the perception category right?

• Members
Originally posted by ghastlyone

How can an 8x10 shake my house much more than a 2x10 without any increase of output? That wouldn't fall in the perception category right?

It's physically moving more air. This is my last post on the board. Hope you find the answers you seek. If not here, elswhere.

Best of Luck. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Zachman

It's physically moving more air.

So again... what matters in the end, our perception of loudness with our own ears (which is what the other thread was about) or db readings? :)

EDIT: Here are the physics behind it according to a friend and other web resources with speakers as a specific example....

Superposition principle: if you have identical waveforms intersecting & they're in phase, the combined amplitude is additive, resulting from the constructive interference of using more drivers

Some noise cancelling technology works in similar fashion by combining out of phase waves.

Sorry you had to leave so soon :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
So again... what matters in the end, our perception of loudness with our own ears (which is what the other thread was about) or db readings?
:)

EDIT: Here are the physics behind it according to a friend and other web resources with speakers as a specific example....

Superposition principle: if you have identical waveforms intersecting & they're in phase, the combined amplitude is additive, resulting from the constructive interference of using more drivers

Some noise cancelling technology works in similar fashion by combining out of phase waves.

Sorry you had to leave so soon
:(

Aloha,

The analogy that you gave is like double tracking your guitar, multiple frequencies; Makes it fuller, not louder.

Don't get me wrong, I use 3 4x12's sometimes and it sounds way bigger, than when I play with a 1x12, using the same amp, but the projection is more spread out w/ a 4x12, and the perceptive feel, is more appealing to me too. :thu:

• Members
my large setup is the cobra/splawn full stack (tho i don't stack it up that way) with a boss gt-6 in front

my small setup is my mesa mark III, which i'll probably start using with my old halfback 2x12

my even smaller setup is a pod 2.0 into a valve jr

Hell ya, NICE choices in gear. :thu:

Archived