Amp Shootout: Laney VS Mesa VS Rivera

Bassified

• Members

I'm looking for a Fenderish clean with a good mid-gain drive. Not high-gain metal, although, an extra 'feature' would be nice for versatility. Does the Laney LC30 nail Fenderish cleans and nice mid-gain drive? I can't find any clips.

The Mesa F-30 has been talked about a lot in the lounge. It's a bit more expensive new, but I am having a tough time finding one used. I played it before and I can honestly say I like it, but would like to consider my options.

I'm still waiting for the prices on the Rivera Clubster 25, but that's another one I am interested in. I haven't tried those out yet, so it's a hit and miss. I think I have tried the Rivera Chubster before though, but it's been a while. The Chubster was expensive for me.

Other notable ones within my budget is the Traynor YCV50Blue and a used Crate V3112T. I can also order in a Tech21 Trademark60, but I think I should just go with a tube amp. I play indie/punk/rock in a 4-piece band. I plan to use my next amp with a black Fender Lite ash Strat.

My current setup is a Podxt Live into a Power Engine 60. It sounds good...but I feel digital modelers are lacking something. I just don't know.

• Members

Originally posted by Remedy

I suggest that the LC30 is more a vox sound than fender.

It is an ok amp but doesnt blow me away.

Maybe consider a single channel fender with a pedal for your overdrive sound. Just a thought to add to your options

More voxy sounding?

Well, I don't want to rely on a pedal for distortion. I'd like an amp that has a good clean and a good drive in itself already without the use of pedals. Also, I think one reason I'm ditching the pod is because there's way too much stuff. I rather have a simple clean+drive amp and maybe just throw in a delay pedal.

Thanks for the suggestion though.;)

• Members

Originally posted by Bassified

More voxy sounding?

Well, I don't want to rely on a pedal for distortion. I'd like an amp that has a good clean and a good drive in itself already without the use of pedals. Also, I think one reason I'm ditching the pod is because there's way too much stuff. I rather have a simple clean+drive amp and maybe just throw in a delay pedal.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
;)

I know exactly what you're saying. I was in the same boat. I went from a pod to wanting a 2 channel valve amp.(I only used 3 sounds from the pod anyway, with all its options). So I wanted simplicity. I researched and ended up with a Laney LC30II. (It is based on a vox sound) because of price , size , features.

I've since got to borrow a JCM800 with a 4x12 and also bought a marshall 6100lm.

One thing I can tell you is a 4x12 just seems to sounds better = bigger and fuller(doesnt neccessarily have to be louder though) It just sounds bigger/better

I think the Laney is OK. It has an alright clean and definitely does mid gain on the drive channel. Kind of has a loose feel on the bass strings. Has a kind of brightness or hi-mid sharpness to it. I dont find it totally satisfying.

Definitely try before you buy if possible. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Remedy

I know exactly what you're saying. I was in the same boat. I went from a pod to wanting a 2 channel valve amp.(I only used 3 sounds from the pod anyway, with all its options). So I wanted simplicity. I researched and ended up with a Laney LC30II. (It is based on a vox sound) because of price , size , features.

I've since got to borrow a JCM800 with a 4x12 and also bought a marshall 6100lm.

One thing I can tell you is a 4x12 just seems to sounds better = bigger and fuller(doesnt neccessarily have to be louder though) It just sounds bigger/better

I think the Laney is OK. It has an alright clean and definitely does mid gain on the drive channel. Kind of has a loose feel on the bass strings. Has a kind of brightness or hi-mid sharpness to it. I dont find it totally satisfying.

Definitely try before you buy if possible.
:)

Oh, do you have clips? That would be pretty useful!

That said, I think I will be able to try it out. The local music shop is selling it for $890cad, but I told them my budget and I'll see if we can work things out if I like the amp.

I won't be carrying a 4x12 or considering one. Convenience and portablility is pretty important to me. I'd like a combo under 50 lbs for sure. Like a simple grab and go setup. Actually 50 lbs is a lot...less weight = better. But it also needs a good tone.

• Members

The Laney LC30 is nice, so are the Rivera's, but honestly, if I were doing what you're doing and needed an amp along the same lines, I would hands down, without thinking twice go with a VHT Pittbull 45. EL84's, GREAT clean, enough gain for sure...it's got a HiWatt/Voxy/Orange vibe and can get relatively heavy.

• Members

Originally posted by zer0psi

The Laney LC30 is nice, so are the Rivera's, but honestly, if I were doing what you're doing and needed an amp along the same lines, I would hands down, without thinking twice go with a VHT Pittbull 45. EL84's, GREAT clean, enough gain for sure...it's got a HiWatt/Voxy/Orange vibe and can get relatively heavy.

Is this the one?

http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BGWI&Product_Code=AM-VHT-PB45112&Category_Code=AM-VHT

If so...I guess I should have mentioned my budget...

Around $800-1000cad.

Archived