Calling HC geniuses -weird amp problem

Johnstinkpants

• Members

Lately I'm getting a weird crackly static from the clean channel on my valveking 212, no matter what volume. It has nothing to do with the guitar or leads as if I unplug both and tap the amp with my hand, it still makes the noise briefly everytime.

It's kind of similar a problem to the one in this thread except my amp is a few months old and the problem appears to only be on the clean channel (though I guess it's possible the noise is masked by gain on the od channel)

It's particularly crackly when i play lower strings on my guitar. I know nothing about the technical side of amps, but I noticed that one of the tubes is not glowing blue like the others. I can't remember if it used to or not so I don't know if it's of any relevance. You might be able to see what I mean in this picture:

HPIM0590.jpg

Please help!

• Members

Originally posted by Johnstinkpants

I have shakey hands

Seriously though this noise is really horrible and I need to make it go away!

YEah...it's a bit blurry....but a nice example of tube problem.

I agree with amsnell, try a new tube or best thing is to take it back to the shop first. I know...a pita....but still. If you're not sure, better safe than sorry.

Warranty?

• Members

The static stuff sounds like a preamp tube, which you can locate by tapping the tubes.

I can't really see much in your photo, but it does appear as if the tube you identify is getting current. If it weren't, I doubt the amp would work at all.

• Members

I had that happen to my 5150 several years ago.

Apparently the guy who had it before me retubed it and the tubes were bad. A bad tube on a 5150 has a tendency to take out screen grid resistors. Two of my tubes were dark/orange and two lit up blue/orange.

Everyone says you cant diagnose a problem based on how a tube is lighting up, but I knew something wasnt right.

If that's what the problem is, then rest assured it's not an expensive part, but unfortunately you'll definitely need to find someone who knows what tehy're doing to fix it. If it's new, I'd try to take advantage of the warranty.

• Members

Originally posted by Johnstinkpants

Crap, I was hoping it was some obvious problem that I was just too ignorant to realise

So I'm to have to get it back to the retailer?

I dont know, your best bet is to try a new set of tubes. You can always reuse them later if that doesnt fix it.

If that doesnt fix it, have someone that knows what they're doi ng check it out.

Archived