Favourite "utility" musician

• Members

The guy, or gal, who doesn't necessarily get all the glory, but is a quiet, key ingredient. Often singing background vocals, writing, producing, engineering and playing various instruments.

For me, two guys come to mind:

Paul Raymond of UFO and

Greg Hawkes of the Cars.

• Members

I played keys, guitar, and electric violin in a band once, and switching instruments was a challenge. But I'm not my favorite... I'd nominate:

Kjartan of Sigur Ros (keys, guitar, percussion)

All members of Aamina (string quartet) when they toured with Sigur Ros - they helped out on other instruments too

Andy MacKay of Roxy Music (sax, oboe, keys)

Barry Burns of Mogwai (keys, vocals, vocoder, guitar)

The two drummer/keyboardists who tour with Jonsi

• Members

tony banks - Genesis. while Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins were getting all the credit, tony was doing all the hard work (writing, playing keys AND guitar, accounting for much of the more progressive/intricate playing in the early genesis).

Gregg Rolie - Santana and Journey. Never gets HALF the credit he deserves. His keyboard playing AND vocals are what REALLY made santana famous, and then paved the way for Perry to build the pop rock sound of journey, starting with his more instrumentally based band he fronted until perry came into the picture *first three journey albums are cool to check out.....) all in all, this guy made a much bigger impact on rock music as we know it then he gets credit for.

• Members

Mark Hart of Crowded House, Luther Dickinson of Black Crowes, Scott Thurston of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers, Ben Mink of the Reclines, Chuck Leavell of The Rolling Stones. These are my favorites. There are many more like Buddy Miller, T-Bone Burnett, Rick Derringer.....

• Members

Nick Rhodes. Only chicks, huge DD fans, and keyboardist even know that he is the heart of the band.

Dennis Deyoung. He was not properly appreciated for his keyboard skills. Oh yeah, and he was the lead singer of classic Sticks

Ray Manzarek. I heard that he could do a very good Morrison vocal emulation and sometimes had to do so.

Archived