Korg Z1?

• Members

Uh... yeah (in general). But what about that horrible, screeching filter? Horrible.

Oh yeah! I forgot about the filter when driven to oscillation. It didn't do much for me either. Otherwise a nice synth though.

• Members

It's funny, I remember looking at the Z1 when it was new, at the time it was really overshadowed by the crop of VAs that came out with it, Virus, Nova, MS2000, OB12, probably a couple I forgot, also a lot harder to scratch the surface of when demo-ing in a store, and the sales staff usually don't know from {censored} about synths.

With hindsight, it seems to have stood the test of time a lot better than the others, and it's a lot more than a VA.

• Members

I also still have my Z1 but truthfully it hasn't been turned on in years. A nice synth with a lot of engines even if perhaps none of those engines are really that special these days. Mind you its good to have a polyphonic modelling synth....

Soundwise I always digged the soprano sax preset with some edits... some of the pads were great (esp with some edits), and I have an excellent flugelhorn patch I programmed... also some great Arp style lead synths in there too...

Epiano for me was weak although the Wurly was very good for 1997... Organ was pretty nice for the time period. I used to play with the Z1 and the V-Synth a lot in a combo and found the Z1 organ to have the right kind of bass sound to play under the V-Synth pads..

I spent a lot of time trying to program my own sounds in the Z1 VA engine but I kinda found the tone a bit samey after a time... but then that's the case for a lot of analogues as well..

Still, I think its ludicrously cheap on ebay...

• Members

Uh... yeah (in general). But what about that horrible, screeching filter? Horrible.

I use the filter self-oscillation on the Z1 in one number in particular. I hold two fairly low notes an octave apart and run a band pass filter sweep with the mod wheel set to the resonance, so I'm essentially playing the filter resonance rather than the keys. Playing the mod wheel expressively with the music generates some lovely whistles and hoots which are perfect for the song.

• Members

It is clearly not a Moog or Oberheim filter emulation. Not 'creamy' and 'warm'. Very harsh and digital, not even as good as the JD-800 digital filter, but hey it can do harsh squeals and screeches all day long! :)

Just the wonderful string synths, organs, and ARP-ish leads are enough to keep me happy with this synth. Gigging and performance capability are what I'm after with this one, and it satisfies.

• Members

Drop the MOSS board into a Triton and you're good to go.

The Z1 has a better control surface including traditional pitchbend/mod wheels instead of joystick, a proper 4-way finger pad instead of the tiny 2-way ribbon, and lots more knobs. And a superior arpeggiator.

The touch-screen on the Triton did nothing for me. For live control it's too small, for programming it's even harder than knobs and traditional LCD, at least for me.

Plus, the Moss board (at least at the time I got the Z1) sometimes cost as much as a Z1.

• Members

What is a good price for one? I've seen Prophcy for $400 which seems a lot but idk.

The Z1 sells for around $500-$700 depending on the condition and whether or not it has the voice expansion.

• Members

the Moss board (at least at the time I got the Z1) sometimes cost as much as a Z1.

Yeah, it's amazing how much people are getting for the MOSS board, although some of the "buy it now" prices on eBay have dropped.

• Members

I bought mine new in 1999 for $450 (with a discount).

Wow that was a pretty DEEP discount.

These things went for ~$1700 new at time of release.

I got the 18-voice edition for $600 used in 2004.

Typically then, 12-voice Z1's went for about $450-500

• Members

Wow that was a pretty DEEP discount.

These things went for ~$1700 new at time of release.

I got the 18-voice edition for $600 used in 2004.

Typically then, 12-voice Z1's went for about $450-500

I meant the EXB-MOSS card for my Triton. The two posts above mine were about the EXB-MOSS card. Wooops. :)

• Members

It is clearly not a Moog or Oberheim filter emulation. Not 'creamy' and 'warm'. Very harsh and digital, not even as good as the JD-800 digital filter, but hey it can do harsh squeals and screeches all day long!

The Z1 filter can sound great, it's just not your typical 'analog emulation' filter. FWIW I still have and use my Z1, sold the JD-800 a while ago...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived