yamaha msr250 or mackie srm350v2 as keyboard amp?

MaNdU

• Members

i need the best i coud get for $450 to $550 as a keyboard amp, something that sound good, reasonable powerfull and under 40 pounds. My previows speakers have been a behringer b512dsp or so but was two heavy, and the last one i use was a thump 15.

so im toward a yamaha srm250 or a mackie srm350v2. ty...:cool:

it will be used mainly as a keyboard amp and sometimes to play music or as a portable pa system for small places...

• Members

I have been using a pair of Mackie SRM350v2's for the last 2 years for monitoring and as a mini PA for smallish gigs, but I can tell you that for keyboard amplification it's not the better choice at your price point! The Mackie's sound harsh in the high frequencies and will fatigue your ears....this was even happening after EQ'ing the patches on the keyboards themselves and on a submixer.

Are you looking to get a single powered monitor or a pair? What type of music are you playing, i.e., do you need low end for your patches?

For a new PA system, consider

1) Yamaha Stagepas 300 (pair of speakers and an 8 channel mixer)

2) Yamaha MSR250 (a pair might push your budget, but used ones would certainly work)

3) QSC K8 (used) would have an on board mixer (probably could find one used in your price range)

4) Roland BA-330 (single stereo amp, battery powered if needed.

5) RCF 310 (these sound awesome and are now discounted heavily online)

QSC seems to be well voiced for keys and have a wide dispersion angle in their smaller formats (K8, K10) - If you can find these used or stretch you budget,

they sound FANTASTIC. RCF is known for high quality speakers, but you may encounter difficulty with service/warranty stuff depending where you live.

Run far, far away from any Roland KC series amp, Mackie SRM's, Behringer, and JBL EON's. They can all get "loud" but won't give you the depth and quality of sound

that the mid range offerings from the others can give.

Good luck!

• Members

Adding to halluxone's post, I would add the EV ZXA1 to your short list. To my ears, it sounds better than the QSC K8, and is lighter and less expensive... but it won't play as loud.

When you check them out, listen to piano patches... those are about the trickiest to get sounding good. If it sounds good for piano, other keys will be a cinch.

It's also useful to know what the acoustic piano patch "should" sound like... i.e. listen to it first using a neutral-sounding pair of headphones, like the AKG D240. The closer the speaker comes to the sound you hear in your headphones, the more "right" it is.

• Members

You'll be very surprised. Try one of these out.

Roland_AC60.jpg

It is a superb keyboard amp - even though it's designed for acoustic guitars.

I just finished using it w/ my M3m. I'm always amazed at how good it sounds.

2 of them & a small mixer make a very nice little PA w/120 watts.

Very lightweight. Under $450.

• Members

thanks for the replys. i play mainly piano patches, some eps and pads.

I just try some today. First the roland ba-330 wich sounded nice in stereo but u cant push it to much course it clips to easy. Then i try the roland k-350mono amp and i have to say i like it, it has alot more power than the ba-330 and plenty of low end. Im looking also toward the QSC K-10, but here in P.R. nobody has it so, will it sound to much better than everyting in its price, even only buying one as a mono amp?:confused:

Archived