Explain boosting to me!

schecterboy

• Members

Hey guys, I'm about to buy a DSL 100 very soon, can't wait, and I've been told that to get those really liquidy lead tones I'd meed to boost it, so I've chosen the SD-1.

People have also been saying to use a GE-7 equaliser...

My first question is do I need both?

I'm under the impression that the SD-1 will be useful by setting the level at 10, gain at 0 and adjusting the tone knob to push the tubes harder (is that pre or power?) is that right?

Do I need the GE-7 AS WELL as the SD-1 to get the most out of the amp? And if I do get it how should it be set? In a V shape?

Thanx guys!

• Members

I have a DSL 100 and i have Bad Monkey boost pedal and a fish 'n chips eq pedal.

I prefer the Bad Monkey. I dont really like the eq. It always makes the amp sound kinda "fake" or something to me. I cant put my finger on it, but its like you can tell there is a pedal somewhere in the loop.

The Bad monkey on the green channel is awesome. I heard the SD-1 cuts some lows and boosts highs - which you dont want with the DSL. The Bad Monkey is the cheapest OD pedal and you can alter your lows and highs yourself with it. I'd highly recommend it

• Members

Hmm ok thanx for the ideas guys, I've had a look at the TS and the Bad Monkey before I thought I'd settled on the SD-1. Can you guys tell me how much of a difference the boost really makes?

Like people have said the DSL is a pretty high gainer as it is!

• Members

Hmm ok thanx for the ideas guys, I've had a look at the TS and the Bad Monkey before I thought I'd settled on the SD-1. Can you guys tell me how much of a difference the boost really makes?

I just find they tighten up the sound and make it sound more "3D" or complex for lack of a better decription. I think I'm gonna get an SD1 or TS7.

• Members

Yeah there is plenty of gain on the DSL on the lead channels, but it actually sounds best when you boost the crunch channel (the gren one). You get a much thicker sound this way. The lead channels are great for solos and can work well for rhythm too, but the green channel boosted just sounds thicker and better.

I'd suggest you fo with the bad monkey. Its the cheapest and best. If you dont like it it's no real loss. They are only around $30 anyway

• Members

Right thanz for the swift reply Dave, so it's an either or between the GE-7 and SD-1 then!

Bet you can see the next question coming!

Which would be the most flexible and effective to go for seeing as I'm after it for leads mainly, thanx!

Are you looking for a gain boost or a volume boost?

Archived