Peavey Classic 30 opinions...

Foozman

• Members

Been searching for a good tube amp for home/bedroom practice (i don't play out). Something with decent headroom for cleans and good tube tone at reasonable volumes.

I've tried the following amps (I'm not a great player, so that doesn't mean much):

- Peavey Classic 30

- Epi Valve Jr.

- Fender Blues Jr.

- Crate Palomino (15W and 30W)

Of those 4, the Peavey seemed to have the nicer sound to my ears. Any opinions or comments? Suggestions? Keeping in mind the intended use of this amp.

• Members

the classic30 is good overall. i don't really care for its voice, but it cuts through a band mix nicely. the stock speaker is crap, a nasty midrange honk. speaker change is good for this amp. most versatile of the bunch.

the tweed blues jr is great (upgraded jensen alnico speaker). nice cleans and overdrive; sounds like mini bassman. the regular blues jrs don't sound nearly as good.

the valve jr, stock, is crappy. you can put $50 into it and mod it yourself and it can sound great; mine does. i like it better than i did my fuchs lucky 7.

the crates are good, but the OD can be a bit fizzy, which i suspect can be remedied by new tubes.

if it were me, i'd probably get a tweed blues jr, but you need to go play all of them A/B and decide for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Had a Classic 30. Great amp with my Strat. EQ was responsive, great voice to it. One of the best amps I've had. I gave it to a young man who is an amazing young jazz guitarist, but had a pitiful amp. He still uses the amp and loves it. Good luck.

• Members

I used to own a Classic 30. I found it to be a good amp with a nice, warm sound. It was best for crunchy rhythm: Rolling Stones, AC/DC.. that kind of thing. It also did well with a dirty blues sound.

However, I found the clean channel a bit lacking. A bit too twangy for my taste. It also will not do metal without a pedal, just an FYI.

• Members

the classic30 is good overall. i don't really care for its voice, but it cuts through a band mix nicely. the stock speaker is crap, a nasty midrange honk.

The problem is the 30 has a HUGE sweep in the mids EQ. You've got to cut it back more than you would other amps or it will honk.

Archived