OT: So David Beckham is moving to LA Galaxy - will he make you guys embrace "soccer"?

Random Hero

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It truly does baffle me how the rest of the world adores FOOTBALL, but the US just doesn't get it.

It's really simple: a lot of the world doesn't have the money, resources, and land to enjoy a lot of the sports we do.

A bunch of kids in Ethiopia can bring a ball to a field of weeds and instantly start a game of soccer/football. Now think about what they'd need to play a game of basketball? Hard, flat surface, hoop, properly inflated ball. How about a real game of football (not a pickup game?)

I might check out a game (if it's ever on television) because a buddy of mine just got drafted by the Galaxy but I really do hate it. Soccer was huge at my high school. We won three big school state championships while I was there and lot's of people went to watch games. It more like we were excited for our friends as opposed to the game though...

• Members

He's gonna be the highest paid team sportsman in the world. $1m per week, a quarter of a billion dollars over the next 5 years.

If he really thinks he's going to help football in the USA become as big as the other 3 huge sports, then he's having a laugh.

IMO, he has made an enormous footballing mistake - the MLS is a joke - but in a business sense, what a deal.

I'm a big fan, but I mostly watch the English games over here. MLS is somewhat boring, just too slow for my taste. I'll probably watch a Galaxy game here and there, but I wonder how much of an impact he can make in a team that's a little lower caliber than he's used to playing with.

I used to watch the Cosmos play when I was a boy (Pele, Beckenbauer, Chinaglia) and it was really big for about 3-4 years in my neck of the woods anyway, and I got hooked for life. Maybe Beckham can revive that a little bit here in the states.

• Members

I think this will backfire, as beckham can't beat a man, has no pace, hardly scores from open play, is poor defensively. A bunch of americans who maybe have been tempted to see what football is all about will go along, thinking that beckham is a very watchable player but they will go home hugely disappointed.

I still think he's a good player, but he's no flair player and with the exception of his free kicks he won't get people thinking "{censored} me, how did he do that?".

Still, he obviously has some outstanding agents to get that deal.

• Members

Your argument is soccer is lacking complexity because you "kick a ball around and into a net." Yet basketball is just "throwing a ball around and into a net," and hockey is just "passing a puck around and into the net," and football is just "getting the ball into the end zone."
:freak:

Just because his argument sucks doesn't mean he's wrong: the complexity and precision of soccer/Football is nowhere near that of basketball.

• Members

Just because his argument sucks doesn't mean he's wrong: the complexity and precision of soccer/Football is nowhere near that of basketball.

Incorrect.

Beckham IS an overrated player though. He always did just make the best of what he had. He is a terrific passer and free kick taker however.

• Members

Explain to me how one tall guy running from end to end and putting a ball in a net is any different... ;-)

They even have the girly-man fouls in Basketball :D

• Members

Please, elaborate. I would say they're about the same.

Give me a break, there are more kinds of zone defenses in basketball than there are of any kind of defensive strategy in soccer (and we're not even talking man-to-man or various trapping schemes).

Compare a Princeton style offense to anything imployed in soccer: the cuts, screens, passing, and execution is on a completely different level than anything employed on a soccer field.

Precision? Uh, tell me how a bunch of dudes struggling to get a ball into a 24'x10' net is comparable to Reggie Miller shooting a round ball into a slightly larger cylinder at 45% accuracy from 25'?

Soccer is slow and clumsy on any level...

• Members

They even have the girly-man fouls in Basketball
:D

Ha!

:)

Well, soccer and basketball are kindred spirits in the respect that they like to flop and bitch, but in truth, it's really the Europeans fault for introducing that to basketball in the last 10 years...

• Members

Precision? Because the net is smaller in Basketball? Does that mean that Golf and Darts are better sports than anything else? :)

45% accuracy doesn't sound all that good to me.

I love "the beautiful game" - it's the only sport that I can get genuinely excited about and it's probably the only sport I'd actually pay to go and watch.

• Members

Give me a break, there are more kinds of zone defenses in basketball than there are of any kind of defensive strategy in soccer (and we're not even talking man-to-man or various trapping schemes).

Compare a Princeton style offense to anything imployed in soccer: the cuts, screens, passing, and execution is on a completely different level than anything employed on a soccer field.

Precision? Uh, tell me how a bunch of dudes struggling to get a ball into a 24'x10' net is comparable to Reggie Miller shooting a round ball into a slightly larger cylinder at 45% accuracy from 25'?

Soccer is slow and clumsy on any level...

lmao wow.. you're obviously taking offense.. Give ME a break. You have no idea what defensive strategies occur in soccer, you have no idea what style offenses occur in soccer.

Take a look at this and tell me how this is not precise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDC07kQ4AF0 That's more precision than I have ever seen any basketball player incorporate into their game.

Also, make sure to turn off your sound. :D

• Members

45% accuracy doesn't sound all that good to me.

I'm not a big basketball fan, but there aren't many people on earth that can shoot 45% with a person in their face. 45% is pretty good, especially when you are talking about 3 pointers.

• Members
I'm not a big basketball fan, but there aren't many people on earth that can shoot 45% with a person in their face. 45% is pretty good, especially when you are talking about 3 pointers.

I'm sure it's wonderful, but it's all about context. You'd think it'd be easier to throw a ball accurately than kick one with the same degree of accuracy. Ever tried playing an arpeggio with your feet? :)

Archived